Willie Galimore

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Sonny9

Willie Galimore

Post by Sonny9 »

Thoughts on Willie Galimore for the Hall of Very Good.

Not enough attempts? He was lightening in a bottle

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... liWi00.htm

Tragically died in a car wreck with Bo Farrington summer of 1964. Losing those two were part of the downfall of the Bears from '63 to '64
Last edited by Sonny9 on Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sluggermatt15

Re: Wade Galimore

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I don't know much about him. As with other HOVG candidates, what separated him from his peers? What makes him superior?
SixtiesFan

Re: Wade Galimore

Post by SixtiesFan »

His name wasn't Wade Galimore, it was Willie Galimore. In the 80s NFL Films did a highlight film (one of those I referenced in another thread) of Willie Galimore. I read that Steve Sabol enjoyed it so much that he got Galimore before the PFHOF Old-Timers committee. Obviously nothing came of it.

Galimore had several knee operations and missed most of two seasons.
Sonny9

Re: Willie Galimore

Post by Sonny9 »

Dunno why I thought of Wade as I just watched a highlight film after searching for Willie the Wisp
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

He was explosive but not very durable. Not a consistent receiving threat. Don't really see enough to separate at all from players like Jon Arnett and Tom Tracy. Just good.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I'd give him a lot of consideration. Broke a lot of tackles - not especially fast compared to other running backs in the open field but scored a lot - and about half of his touchdowns were 20 yards or longer. Had many TDs over 30 yards.

Those Bears backfields had solid running backs - Casares and Bull were the other two in the backfield at the same time. Johnny Morris got a significant amount of carries for a couple of years. Marconi was solid after Morris became more of a receiver. Still, Galimore led the team in yards per rush and yards per catch most years.

The Bears are a little tough to gauge because they had some pretty good running backs all vying for carries. Not the Million Dollar Backfield but maybe the $250K backfield? Galimore seems to have had the best big play making ability out of the group.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:49 am Galimore seems to have had the best big play making ability out of the group.
NFL films put him in one of those top 10s where they get a mix of ex-players, coaches and other celebrities to talk about each player. I saw it a while ago, but I couldn't find it now - something about big plays or breakaway runners or best open field runners. He was the only one I had never heard of so I looked him up afterwards. His statistics and honors look pretty "flat", his case would have to be based on film and testimonials.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Check out this link. The pass he catches at the 2 minute mark, he just accelerates and runs past the defenders. They had the angle but couldn't get a hand on him. Not only was he fast, he hit top speed fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CJl_oppD8
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:49 am I'd give him a lot of consideration. Broke a lot of tackles - not especially fast compared to other running backs in the open field but scored a lot - and about half of his touchdowns were 20 yards or longer.*** Had many TDs over 30 yards. ***

Those Bears backfields had solid running backs - Casares and Bull were the other two in the backfield at the same time. Johnny Morris got a significant amount of carries for a couple of years. Marconi was solid after Morris became more of a receiver. Still, Galimore led the team in yards per rush and yards per catch most years.

The Bears are a little tough to gauge because they had some pretty good running backs all vying for carries. Not the Million Dollar Backfield but maybe the $250K backfield? Galimore seems to have had the best big play making ability out of the group.
15 of his 36 TDs were 30 yards or more. Another for 27. Of the 15, ten were 50 yards or more and 1 was 44 yards
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:39 am
GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:49 am Galimore seems to have had the best big play making ability out of the group.
NFL films put him in one of those top 10s where they get a mix of ex-players, coaches and other celebrities to talk about each player. I saw it a while ago, but I couldn't find it now - something about big plays or breakaway runners or best open field runners. He was the only one I had never heard of so I looked him up afterwards. His statistics and honors look pretty "flat", his case would have to be based on film and testimonials.
agreed his honors of 1 pro bowl and 1 second team all pro are very very weak in my opinon if we are discussing bears players on the offensive side of the ball that are more deserving than WG may i introduce Jay Hilgenberg