Next rule change

NWebster

Next rule change

Post by NWebster »

I can't be bothered to look it up precisely, but clearly scoring is at its lowest level in over a decade. What do you think will be the next set of rule changes to help encourage offense in the league? Honestly, at this point I can't think of what else could possibly be done on behalf of the offense, but the leg always seems to come up with something, what's next?
pgconboy

Re: Next rule change

Post by pgconboy »

Changing fumbling into the endzone resulting in a turnover seems like a possible change. It doesn't come up very frequently, but it's another way to take pity on offenses.

An XFL kickoff rule could potentially result in better starting field position for offenses.

Stronger enforcement of DPI/holding to further handcuff dbs.

Banning the 'hip drop' tackle.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

pgconboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:17 pm Banning the 'hip drop' tackle.
I think this will come pretty soon. Good call.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Well, let's see....as an old-time fan with one foot always firmly planted in 1966....

First, the number of players on offense will be increased to 18 while the number of players on defense will be limited to no more than 7.

Second, under no circumstances will a defensive player be allowed to tackle an offensive player.

That should do it. Then TV and the owners can finally get those NBA scores they so desperately desire: Dolphins 147, Seahawks 135.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Wow, Richard ... didnt you just describe The Arena Football League? The NFL has been trending that way ever since. They list the cost of personal foul fines every week on PFT--whether they were called as a penalty or not during a game--and these players on defense are paying high prices. The league even gave over a 10,000 fine to Josh Allen for POINTING at a defender he ran by, during the Bengals game that was called for taunting, while players still keep doing endzone dances and celebrations after scores and turnovers ...
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

Here are my recommendations to increase scoring:

Change the scoring system ... a touchdown worth 20 points, 5 points for the XP
10 points for a field goal
6 points for a safety.
At least the scores will look higher.

Adopt the CFL single rule. At least it will add a possible extra point or two to a game.

Increase playing time. Make each quarter 30 minutes long.

Add an extra quarter or two.

Shorten the playing field. 50 yards should be sufficient.

Shorten the first down to 5 yards.

Give the underdog a handicap such as a 10-0 lead before the coin toss.

I could go on and on. I didn't think this could be so much fun.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I think it would be interesting if the NFL reverted to old FG rules and got rid of bringing missed attempts back to the spot of the kick. Short kicks could be downed. Kicks missed through the endzone would be put on wherever they put touchbacks now. The defending team would need a guy back to return missed FGs. Teams with great kickers would hardly ever have to punt...they could routinely try 70-yard FGs and still not be giving up field position.
JWL

Post by JWL »

pgconboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:17 pm An XFL kickoff rule could potentially result in better starting field position for offenses.
This is the answer but the NFL doesn't want to look like they took an idea from a minor league. Look at how long it took the NFL to adopt the 2-point conversion.
UKResearch

Post by UKResearch »

I wonder if they will consider allowing 1 (or more) players being in motion towards the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball (a la the CFL) ?
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

UKResearch wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:27 pm I wonder if they will consider allowing 1 (or more) players being in motion towards the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball (a la the CFL) ?
Seems fair, since they often let the offensive tackles move AWAY from the line before the snap.

By the way, a question from earlier in this thread: What's a "hip drop" tackle? I assume I've seen these, but I've never heard the term.