Kirk Cousins (R.I.P. Vikings career?) - How did he do?

RyanChristiansen

Re: Kirk Cousins (R.I.P. Vikings career?) - How did he do?

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:48 pm As for the Vikings, they would probably bring Cousins back unless they could trade up to get who they want in the draft or free agency, but we will see. Dobbs fumbled alot but has potential, while Mullens/Hall went 1-4 as starters. Will those three get another chance?
I predict Cousins will come back and they will pick up a quarterback at number 11. Too many good quarterbacks coming out of college this year, but it does happen the same year many NFL teams juggled quarterbacks. Whether the man they want is still available at 11 will be a good question. I would like to see the Vikings sign Cousins with the understanding that he will play and mentor the next one for three years, then pick up J. J. McCarthy in the draft with the idea they will extend his rookie contract to five years. Start McCarthy in year four.

What I would REALLY like to see is some NFL teams have the balls to put in backup quarterbacks when they have a secure lead.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Yikes. For a second I thought he had passed away :o

Cousins did exactly how I thought he would in Minnesota. A good to sometimes very good QB who will have great games here and there. Over the course of a season he will a player who makes the team better, win more games than he loses (50-37-1) and have them competing for or in the playoffs pretty much every season. He remained in that cut below NFL elite level. If the stars aligned one of those years yes you can easily win a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins. It just didn't happen with the Vikings.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Vikings have invested enough in him already but who do you replace him with? Ryan's idea makes the most sense in letting him know he will groom his young replacement but Dobbs has mobility and a good arm, he just needs to reduce the turnovers. It will really depend on who O'Connell prefers, Dobbs or Mullens if Cousins isnt re-signed ...
RyanChristiansen

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:42 pm It will really depend on who O'Connell prefers, Dobbs or Mullens if Cousins isnt re-signed ...
As a longtime Vikings fan, it seems that sticking with Dobbs or Mullens would not be a very likely scenario. It doesn't matter who is owner, general manager, or coach, Vikings fans demand to see at least above-average performances out of their teams. Above-average in Minnesota results in high gate receipts and jersey sales. (And historically, the Vikings have been VERY above average in win percentage. Anything less would be sacrilege.) That said, I think the Vikings would spring for a veteran like they have so many times before, which means re-signing Kirk Cousins. There are no other free agent veterans. If Cousins jumps to another team, which I don't think he will, we'll probably see some deal to bring Aaron Rodgers to Minnesota. No joke.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Honestly, do you feel The Vikings should give Baker Mayfield a shot if TB couldnt keep him, Ryan? Garoppolo? Mariota ... or these guys not worth it ?
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Something the Vikings have struggled to do is draft and develop a franchise quarterback within their own system. They always seem to end up with someone else's rejects. In this century, their only real score in that area has been Culpepper. Since Tarkenton retired, Culpepper and Tommy Kramer are the only QBs whom they drafted and who lasted more than five years as primary starter (Wade Wilson wavered between the bench and the field most of his career). If they're going to find "that guy" via the draft, this could be the year to do so.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With Cousins now going to the Falcons, the Vikings have their chance to develop someone from the draft but who will they go after? Could they try to ride the season with Mullens or bring in another free agent? I heard a rumor they may try to sign Darnold from SF but we will see.

--Mayfield bet on himself and got a good extension from TB.
--Wilson will have a chance to rejuvenate his career in Pittsburgh on Denver's dime. Can he get the young receivers to focus more on being team players?
--The Raiders signed Minshew to compete with O'Connell. Will they still go for a QB in the draft?
--Mariota goes to the Redskins to possibly groom Williams or Maye
--Brissett goes back to the Patriots, who may take Daniels or Maye
--Darnold does go to the Vikings*
--Winston goes to the Browns ... will another team give Flacco a chance?
--Jones is traded to Jax ... could his starting career be over?
--Flacco signs with Indy, though Richardson should be ready to go in Sept.
--Howell will back up Smith in Seattle with Lock going to the Giants
--Pickett will leave the Steelers for the Eagles.
--Garapollo heads to the Rams.
--Fields goes to the Steelers, who get two starting QBs this year for 5 million in salary ...

*Edited 3/17
Last edited by Brian wolf on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
RyanChristiansen

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:15 pm With Cousins now going to the Falcons, the Vikings have their chance to develop someone from the draft but who will they go after?
Well, we got our answer yesterday with the signing of Sam Darnold to the Vikings. They signed him to a one-year, $10 million contract, which I'm told is the cap-percentage equivalent of the Vikings' signing of Matt Cassel to get us past Christian Ponder to Teddy Bridgewater. High indications now the Vikings will try to trade up for a top-three pick to take a quarterback who can carry the Vikings to the Promised Land.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

racepug wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:00 am
For my "forever project" of having teams consisting of each N.F.L. franchise's best players of all time compete against one another I've never been able to come up with a clear-cut #2 QB from the entire history of the MIN Vikings. I think a case can be made for Daunte Culpepper and Randall Cunningham had that one fantastic season in MIN purple. I always thought that Tommy Kramer was a decent N.F.L. QB.

I've read about him but I don't remember anything about Joe Kapp. I do remember a quote about him that went like this: "if watching Joe Namath is like watching an artist at work, watching Joe Kapp is comparable to watching a plumber fix pipes." :lol:
Tarkenton

Culpepper

Cousins
Kramer

Pretty east Top 4 to me. Kramer was fine. He just played in Minny for a long time so I find the "total stats" argument unconvincing. Relative to his peers Cousins was better.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats a tall order for the Vikes to move up in the draft for possibly Maye or Daniels. Maybe they package Jefferson as part of the deal? They got Jones from GB but will they get the guy who was playing excellent at the end of the season or the Jones that stayed hurt? Hopefully he can stay healthy ...