Kirk Cousins (R.I.P. Vikings career?) - How did he do?

Brian wolf

Re: Kirk Cousins (R.I.P. Vikings career?) - How did he do?

Post by Brian wolf »

Speaking of a former Viking, Diggs in Buffalo has been traded to the Texans ... Bills better get weapons for Josh Allen fast. Diggs did well there but disappeared the last three postseasons. Could they get Brandon Aiyuk if he sits out in SF?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Whats your opinion on Diggs, RC ?

Diva receiver, regular season star, misunderstood, easily frustrated when not getting the ball? Would he have been better off never leaving the Vikings, or inevitable?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call on McCarthy, RC ...

Meanwhile, Atlanta has had an interesting off-season, turning down Belichick for Morris, giving a bunch of money to Cousins, who now has to win games while mentoring the #8th overall pick in the draft in QB Penix ... I dunno
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Brian wolf wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:20 pm Whats your opinion on Diggs, RC ?

Diva receiver, regular season star, misunderstood, easily frustrated when not getting the ball? Would he have been better off never leaving the Vikings, or inevitable?
You'll remember that Randy Moss had a hard time playing, too, when he wasn't getting the ball. I guess I'm more for guys who can be team players instead of divas. That said, I'll never hate Randy Moss. He was an unbelievable freak talent. I think Diggs thinks he is more than he really is. One Miracle catch and it goes to his head, maybe?
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
RyanChristiansen

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:00 am Good call on McCarthy, RC ...

Meanwhile, Atlanta has had an interesting off-season, turning down Belichick for Morris, giving a bunch of money to Cousins, who now has to win games while mentoring the #8th overall pick in the draft in QB Penix ... I dunno
Yup, there was something about McCarthy's "intangibles" that I liked about him when I watched him. He has a natural charisma directed at winning. Something old school about him.

The Atlanta thing confuses the heck out me, first because they gave Cousins big money and multiple years, and second because Penix carries a lot of baggage in injuries and mechanics that I didn't think made him a first-round pick. I think Bo Nix would have been a better choice but I'm not the GM.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The drafting of Penix makes me feel Cousins will get two seasons and that's it. The Falcons probably felt the Vikings didn't put enough pressure or urgency on him but it takes a team to win it all.
JWL

Post by JWL »

RyanChristiansen wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:31 pm
Brian wolf wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:00 am Good call on McCarthy, RC ...

Yup, there was something about McCarthy's "intangibles" that I liked about him when I watched him. He has a natural charisma directed at winning. Something old school about him.

The Atlanta thing confuses the heck out me, first because they gave Cousins big money and multiple years, and second because Penix carries a lot of baggage in injuries and mechanics that I didn't think made him a first-round pick. I think Bo Nix would have been a better choice but I'm not the GM.
What do you see as a mechanical problem? If you feel the ball comes off his hand in a funny-looking manner I would agree but that's not really a mechanical problem. Philip Rivers and Bernie Kosar also threw passes in a weird-looking manner and they were good. Like them, Penix Jr is not going to run a lot but one doesn't have to be a runner to be a good quarterback.

I liked Penix Jr. going back to Indiana. If he was picked in the top four I would have found it appropriate. Yeah, he's going to be an older rookie and he had serious injuries in college but he was physically fine last year. I'm not loving where he got picked because Atlanta is a weird franchise but I do like that we may not see him play much as a rookie. Despite his advanced age for being a rookie I think a year of sitting will do him well.

No quarterback really operates better under pressure but his drop off from a clean pocket to being pressured seems more severe than most quarterbacks. His positional coach(es) in Atlanta are going to focus in on that aspect of his play one would think and hope.
RyanChristiansen

JWL wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:23 pm
What do you see as a mechanical problem? If you feel the ball comes off his hand in a funny-looking manner I would agree but that's not really a mechanical problem. Philip Rivers and Bernie Kosar also threw passes in a weird-looking manner and they were good. Like them, Penix Jr is not going to run a lot but one doesn't have to be a runner to be a good quarterback.
It’s mainly an issue with arm angle. When you throw side arm you’re going to have to release the ball perfectly to avoid unwanted horizontal movement. The preferred vertical motion is more accurate horizontally and the release point has more of an effect on distance as opposed to horizontal travel. Receivers have an easier time adjusting to distance than to horizontal movement.