Kirk Cousins (R.I.P. Vikings career?) - How did he do?

RyanChristiansen

Kirk Cousins (R.I.P. Vikings career?) - How did he do?

Post by RyanChristiansen »

With Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins out with a season-ending injury, it's likely he will never play again for the Purple and Gold.

How will he rate in the Minnesota Vikings history books?

3rd total yards (23,265). He was on pace to surpass Tommy Kramer in this category this season.

3rd total games (88). He would need to play two more seasont to surprass Tommy Kramer in this category.

2nd in completions (2,093). He passed Tommy Kramer this season.

3rd in attempts (3,081). He would need to play a couple more seasons to surpass Tommy Kramer.

1st in completion percentage (67.9%) if you don't count Sam Bradford's 17-game tenure (71.8%).

2nd in touchdowns (171). He passed Tommy Kramer this season.

And the winner is... Tommy Kramer, who will remain relevant in Vikings history with 2nd in total games, attempts, and yards.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Re: Kirk Cousins (R.I.P. Vikings career?) - How did he do?

Post by Brian wolf »

Disappointing Viking career but not all his fault either ...

Kapp, Tarkenton, Wilson, Cunningham, Culpepper, Favre and Keenum got the team into the NFC Championship game. Lee did also but as a backup.

Speaking of Keenum, would the Vikings bring him back or wait for Mullens? Would they reach out to former tormenter Foles?
racepug

Post by racepug »

I saw something else over the weekend, which, frankly, rather stunned me: Kirk Cousins is tied with Patrick Mahomes for "most games with a QB rating of 100 or better" (I'm not sure the time frame) edit: since 2019 https://stathead.com/tiny/vgG0F?utm_con ... mrgzlbyC4s

To which I replied: "And yet nobody - and I mean N-O-B-O-D-Y - regards Kirk Cousins to be in the same class as an N.F.L. QB as Patrick Mahomes."

My opinion of Kirk Cousins is that he's a serviceable (i.e. "adequate") N.F.L. QB but nothing about him really stands out and I've never regarded him as the kind of QB that you'd count on to get you very far in the post-season.
Last edited by racepug on Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:10 pm Disappointing Viking career but not all his fault either ...

Kapp, Tarkenton, Wilson, Cunningham, Culpepper, Favre and Keenum got the team into the NFC Championship game. Lee did also but as a backup.

Speaking of Keenum, would the Vikings bring him back or wait for Mullens? Would they reach out to former tormenter Foles?
For my "forever project" of having teams consisting of each N.F.L. franchise's best players of all time compete against one another I've never been able to come up with a clear-cut #2 QB from the entire history of the MIN Vikings. I think a case can be made for Daunte Culpepper and Randall Cunningham had that one fantastic season in MIN purple. I always thought that Tommy Kramer was a decent N.F.L. QB.

I've read about him but I don't remember anything about Joe Kapp. I do remember a quote about him that went like this: "if watching Joe Namath is like watching an artist at work, watching Joe Kapp is comparable to watching a plumber fix pipes." :lol:
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

racepug wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:00 am
For my "forever project" of having teams consisting of each N.F.L. franchise's best players of all time compete against one another I've never been able to come up with a clear-cut #2 QB from the entire history of the MIN Vikings. I think a case can be made for Daunte Culpepper and Randall Cunningham had that one fantastic season in MIN purple. I always thought that Tommy Kramer was a decent N.F.L. QB.
I think from an opposing team/fan viewpoint, Culpepper was the toughest to play against. When he was good, he was really hard to keep out of the end zone. Whenever the Vikings got near the goal line, they'd go empty set and Culpepper would take the snap and run up the middle for a TD. Everyone knew it was coming, but it always seemed to work.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Some sportswriter referred to Cousins as "the Costco hot dog of NFL quarterbacks," meaning tasty in the moment but no good for you in the long run. I can't disagree.

It's hard to know who to compare him to when looking for a historical antecedent, because most QBs of his caliber from earlier eras probably never even played in the post-season. A 1-4 playoff record tells me that passing stats can lie, and in the case of Cousins, that there was never much "there" there.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The weird thing about Vikings history is that there were a number of good-to-outstanding seasons by Vikings QBs but none of them could really go beyond a year or two. Brad Johnson was a more consistent winner than all of them but Tarkenton but started only one playoff game--a loss to Dallas--before giving way to Cunningham in 1997 due to injury. With a string of over 100 passer rating seasons for Cousins, you would think the team would win more games but he would look great against weaker teams while struggling against the better teams.

Culpepper could never duplicate his 2000 season, though he racked up big stats in 2003 and 2004 before Moss left.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Citizen wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:01 am Some sportswriter referred to Cousins as "the Costco hot dog of NFL quarterbacks,"
I know there has been inflation, but Costco hot dogs must have gotten ridiculously expensive.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

A game I have been wanting to collect, was Minn at GB in wk 5 of MNF in 1998, Moss's rookie season. Randall Cunningham was on fire, throwing for 442 yards and 4 TDs and could have easily challenged Norm Van Brocklin's record but a deep TD pass to Moss was called back and Moss dropped another deep pass in the first half as well but was destroying the Packer secondary. With a 37-10 lead, the Vikings called off the dogs but I couldnt believe what I was watching that night. Too bad this offensive juggernaut of a team couldnt go all the way that year.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Could the Vikings bring Cousins back? Could he go to SF if Purdy falters? Join Belichick in Atlanta or mentor Williams in Washington? (Doubtful)

Purdy has won two divisional playoffs, which many QBs havent done but the pressure will be intense if he falters this weekend or the SB. If he leads the 49ers to the SB, his future with SF will be secure I believe. As for the Vikings, they would probably bring Cousins back unless they could trade up to get who they want in the draft or free agency, but we will see. Dobbs fumbled alot but has potential, while Mullens/Hall went 1-4 as starters. Will those three get another chance?