Players who were what their team's nickname was

Cali_Eagle

Re: Players who were what their team's nickname was

Post by Cali_Eagle »

Citizen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:45 am 49ers punter Jim McCann was born in 1949, as I imagine a few of his teammates were.

The actor Ed O'Neill worked in a steel mill before being signed as a free agent by the Steelers (he never played for them).

If any players of native descent played for Washington, I haven't been able to find them.

I imagine a number of San Diego/L.A. players use credit cards. And I'm sure many New England players over the years have been quite patriotic.
Lone Star Dietz was their HC back in the early days. He was an Indian (Redskin)
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

Citizen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:45 am 49ers punter Jim McCann was born in 1949, as I imagine a few of his teammates were.

The actor Ed O'Neill worked in a steel mill before being signed as a free agent by the Steelers (he never played for them).

If any players of native descent played for Washington, I haven't been able to find them.

I imagine a number of San Diego/L.A. players use credit cards
. And I'm sure many New England players over the years have been quite patriotic.
Barron Hilton named the team after his "Diner's Club" charge card program which began in the late 1950's. Anyone ever play for LA/SD/LA Chargers that had a name associated with eating or dining or even food?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnR wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:35 pm I believe Charlie Tolar was an oiler in the off season. (wiki: oil well fire fighter)
I think that's close enough...
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Cali_Eagle wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:56 am Lone Star Dietz was their HC back in the early days. He was an Indian (Redskin)
I recall hearing the team was named in honor of him. Wonder how that factored into the name change saga, if it did whatsoever? Wouldn't surprise me if no parties involved even knew.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

JameisSaintston wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:54 am
Cali_Eagle wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:56 am Lone Star Dietz was their HC back in the early days. He was an Indian (Redskin)
I recall hearing the team was named in honor of him. Wonder how that factored into the name change saga, if it did whatsoever? Wouldn't surprise me if no parties involved even knew.
My understanding is the team was originally called the Boston Braves because the 1st playing field they leased was Braves Field in Boston, and the tendency many NFL teams followed in those days was to try to piggyback on the much greater prestige that MLB had in those days. (NY Giants, Chicago Bears, Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds, Detroit "Lions" intended to complement with Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates & Washington Senators all played in NFL at one time or another in the early days to the 1940's)

After one season in Braves Field, the Boston Red Sox / (Tom Yawkey I believe) called the Braves with an offer of better lease terms if they would move to Fenway Park. George Preston Marshall, always mindful of the dollar, did so & I have always read he changed the name to "Redskins" because it was as close as he could get to Red Sox while maintaining an Indian theme. He had jersies with Indian heads on them and probably had a small inventory of Indian related team paraphernalia he sold at the games. Solved two problems at once. Affiliated his team loosely with the Red Sox and saved a few bucks all at the same time.

The previous two paragraphs are what I have always read about the whole Braves-Redskins name origins and situation. Maybe even read it in the works of some PFRA members, past or present.

I don't think Marshall thought about Indians at all. It was just an accident stemming from the fact that he wound up beginning NFL play at Braves Field. Had Fenway/Bosox/team owner Bob Quinn (just before Yawkey) made a better offer at the very outset, they may have been called the Red Sox themselves, or probably the Reds. He surely didn't call them "Redskins" because he wanted to insult Indians. I doubt he even gave reaI Indians even a passing thought when he named the team. Had they began playing at the very outset at Griffith Stadium, they may well have been called the "Senators" or the "Presidents" or something like that.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JameisSaintston wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:40 am
JohnTurney wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:12 pm
JameisSaintston wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:12 am Any saints play for the Saints? Anyone with "St." in their name?
Taysom Hill is a Latter-day Saint
Ah, perfect.

I presume no Bengalis have ever played for the Bengals?
What about Bill "Tiger" Johnson as their Head Coach?

Steve Bird and Carl Birdsong may qualify as Cardinals.

A.J. Hawk played one game as a Falcon.

When I was a kid, here in Mexico the local announcers talked about "the Orange team" of Red Miller.

I believe Carl Roaches was a truck driver beforer joining the Oilers, but I don't remember if it was a gas truck.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JameisSaintston wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:12 am

When Colt McCoy inevitably (hopefully) gets to the Colts... that'll be a special one.
Colt Anderson played for the Colts from 2014-2015.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

I wonder if anyone who played for 49ers would pan for gold as a hobby, if they ever prospected.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JohnTurney wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:22 pm I wonder if anyone who played for 49ers would pan for gold as a hobby, if they ever prospected.
It is a fairly common "touristy" thing to do... go up to the "Gold Country" around Sacramento and they have some "camps" where you can pan for gold.
So it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone had prospected somewhere at some time...
(Sounds like something Russ Francis might've done)

There's even a "Church of the 49ers" near Columbia.
I was very disappointed that, upon entering, there wasn't one Relic of Saint Joe, Jerry or Ronnie...

https://churchofthe49ers.com/
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:40 pm
It is a fairly common "touristy" thing to do... go up to the "Gold Country" around Sacramento and they have some "camps" where you can pan for gold.
there are some vids on Youtube about people doing it...even dry panning in the desert. Seems like a lot of work for little chance of payout. But hey, if you like it...

You're right some 49er player, at some point, had to try it at some point in 75 years.