Modern Candidates HOF Preliminary List

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Modern Candidates HOF Preliminary List

Post by Brian wolf »

With 173 modern candidates on the preliminary list for The Class Of 2024, the voters try to not leave any stone unturned but players still miss out.

Eric Berry failed to make it this year but Doug Flutie and Tony Romo did. So did Marc Bulger, who Brock Purdy plays similar to but doesnt have a chance.

Interesting Names

Terry Allen -- a tough but injury plagued career. Heart of a lion.
Ted Washington -- one of the best nose tackles just behind Smerlas and Wilfork. Hopefully he will get a chance
Troy Brown -- wont make it of course but what a warrior and clutch, professional.
Matt Light -- very underrated but competing with former teammate, Mankins
Henry Thomas -- another underrated player who played alot of shade/nose tackle and still had as many sacks as Steve McMichael
Larry Izzo -- special teams ace
Lance Briggs -- I felt was just as good as Urlacher for a number of seasons.
Eugene Robinson -- another underrated, distinguished career. Should have had more accolades
Antoine Winfield -- If only Deion Sanders could tackle players like he could ...

Can these older veterans make headway with voters?

O'Neil
Nalen
Allen
Wisniewski
Webb
Watters
Newton
Stepnoski
E Williams
Nickerson
Mitchell
Rice
R Harrison
McGinest

Where is Asante Samuel? Due to Brown, Wilfork, Mankins, Light, Harrison, Bruschi, Welker, Vrabel and McGinest being on the ballot, he and Bledsoe were left off ...
rewing84

Re: Modern Candidates HOF Preliminary List

Post by rewing84 »

The five I'm most interested In Brian; Richmond Webb Henry Thomas Steve W Leslie o neal hardy Nickerson
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Can O'Neil get past the semifinals? Will Webb and Wisniewski get some headway? Interesting stories but Thomas just didnt have enough accolades, despite absorbing blockers, like Ted Washington.

With all the pass rushers, its hard for Neil Smith, Abraham and Rice to get traction as well. Rice and Nickerson have a hard road because Sapp, Lynch, Barber and Brooks have been voted in.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Predictable Semifinalist results with George and Barber being added this year. Thought Brandon Marshall might make it as well but tough day for older veterans. Can Eric Allen, Watters and Ward make it further?

My Moderns Wishlist

Peppers
Gates
Woodson
E Allen
Ward

Prediction

Peppers
Gates
Woodson
J Allen
A Johnson

As usual, hardly any interior positions and Willis may also get elected with Kuechly coming up. Could Freeney jump ahead of J Allen? Could Holt get in before Johnson or Wayne?
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Biggest snub from the semis is 5x 1st team all pros kevin williams
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call Robert ... my biggest snub was either Nalen or Wisniewski. They dominated at their positions but like Williams on defense, wont get traction as interior players. Even Wilfork gets more consideration.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:25 pm Predictable Semifinalist results with George and Barber being added this year. Thought Brandon Marshall might make it as well but tough day for older veterans. Can Eric Allen, Watters and Ward make it further?

My Moderns Wishlist

Peppers
Gates
Woodson
E Allen
Ward

Prediction

Peppers
Gates
Woodson
J Allen
A Johnson

As usual, hardly any interior positions and Willis may also get elected with Kuechly coming up. Could Freeney jump ahead of J Allen? Could Holt get in before Johnson or Wayne?
of the three you mentioned ward allen and watters Allen and Watters needs to be finalists soon their time as modern era candidates is running out both of their last years is 2026 ward has plenty of time his modern era time ends in 2036
readjack

Post by readjack »

Hines Ward has 12 years remaining after this year, and joins Terrell Davis as the only players to start their eligibility with eight straight semifinalists without advancing. Every first-ballot semifinalist ever is either in Canton within 11 years or still on the ballot. By that trend, Ward would need to get in by 2027, though with the WR logjam I'm predicting 2029. He could make the finals this year as a chaos vote, but certainly next year at the latest.

Watters and Allen definitely need to advance. They are each in their 18th year of eligibility. In the semis era, only one player has gotten to Canton as a modern when getting to his first finals in Y18 or after, and that was Sam Mills.

Ricky Watters was our committee's top eligible RB, discussed here: viewtopic.php?t=7244

Our committee put Watters and Allen into the finals last week. Here was the Allen break down from our colleague Jose Ruiz of Bigger Than a Game: https://twitter.com/readjack/status/1731863124293091697
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

only one player has gotten to Canton as a modern when getting to his first finals in Y18 or after, and that was Sam Mills.
I thought this happened toJoe DeLamielleure as well?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:33 pm
only one player has gotten to Canton as a modern when getting to his first finals in Y18 or after, and that was Sam Mills.
I thought this happened toJoe DeLamielleure as well?
Joe D was before the semis era but he did come out of nowhere to be elected.