1969 AFL Title Game Controversy

JoeZagorski

1969 AFL Title Game Controversy

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hi Guys!
During the 1969 AFL Championship Game, Chiefs wide receiver Otis Taylor catches a third quarter pass along the sideline. The official nearest the play at first signals that the catch was made out of bounds. Then he abruptly changes his mind and signals a completed pass. I know that the Back Judge was Hugh Gamber, and the Field Judge was Bob Baur. Do any of you know which of these two men was the official who ruled Taylor's catch a completed pass? Thanks for any information that you can provide.
Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
Brian wolf

Re: 1969 AFL Title Game Controversy

Post by Brian wolf »

A crappy call in my opinion. The Raiders should have had great field position had the correct call been made and the Chiefs forced to punt. Even on NFL films, his foot went out of bounds. Dawson deserves credit though, for finally getting the Chiefs going. Though they kept fumbling the ball back to Raiders, the defense just kept turning them back. The corners totally shut down Wells, Biletnikoff and Sherman. I still think Hubbard or Banaszak could have made more a difference ...
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Lamonica smashed his hand on Aaron Brown's helmet and had to come out of the game in the 2nd half for a bit. When he returned his accuracy was horrible, tossing 3 INTs. But as was noted KC kept fumbling the ball back to Oakland. It made for a very interesting 4th quarter to watch, one of my earliest memories. Too bad NBC tossed the game tapes.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

RRMarshall wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:04 pm Too bad NBC tossed the game tapes.
Honestly? Jeezus
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

The play in question is at 1:15 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jcu12HSNkM

Baur was number 58, and that appears to be #58 who does NOT make the call, while the official who comes quickly up the sideline to first signal incomplete and then complete is not easy to identify (he's in the yellow circle). But if the choices are Baur and Gamber (who was #70), it's Gamber.

Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks for that footage, Throwin_Samoan ... I still hope NFL Films will release entire games like this on DVD but my hopes arent up ...
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

RRMarshall wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:04 pm Lamonica smashed his hand on Aaron Brown's helmet and had to come out of the game in the 2nd half for a bit. When he returned his accuracy was horrible, tossing 3 INTs. But as was noted KC kept fumbling the ball back to Oakland. It made for a very interesting 4th quarter to watch, one of my earliest memories. Too bad NBC tossed the game tapes.
They probably taped over them. That's what usually happened in those days.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Thanks to the Throwin' Samoan!
Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski