2023 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
SixtiesFan

Re: 2023 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Post by SixtiesFan »

JameisSaintston wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:55 pm The Terry Metcalf I'm looking at never had a season over 1200 scrimmage yards. It doesn't appear he ever got a bellcow workload; he also never had more than 20 carries in a game. Is his returning considered the most relevant data point in his HOVG favor?
I recall Greg Pruitt in the mid-70s being quoted in the press saying something like, "All you hear is Metcalf. I think I'm the best small back in the league."

Pruitt carried more from scrimmage than Metcalf, had three 1000 yard seasons, and was a threat anywhere on the field. He isn't in the HOVG either.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Kind of a myopic thing to say. He had 1194 scrimmage yards in 1975 and was 3rd in MVP voting while earning All NFC honors. If he had 6 more yards from scrimmage that year, would that change your opinion on Metcalf?
No, that's a misread. I look for more like 1500 and up a couple times, with a few "level-out" years around 12-1300. Billy Sims, William Andrews, Clem Daniels, Lydell Mitchell, etc. are several examples not yet in the HOVG. 1200 is well below my radar as a peak for this era, I just used it as a matter-of-fact statement.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JuggernautJ wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:59 pm Based on the recently completed vote of the Hall of Very Good Committee, these are the 20 finalists for this year's HOVG from which PFRA members will now choose: Houston Antwine, Coy Bacon, Alyn Beals, Les Bingaman, Ray Childress, George Christensen, John David Crow, Earl Faison, Buckets Goldenberg, Leon Gray, Nick Lowery, Peggy Parratt, Michael Dean Perry, Marvin Powell, Buster Ramsey, Buck Shaw, Steve Tasker, Jeff Van Note, Herschel Walker and Russ Washington....

PFRA members in good standing may send their votes to: andypiascik@yahoo.com
You must vote for 10 of the 20 Finalists, above.
Just a reminder, the last day to vote is October 31st.