Clarence Peaks Peaks in Pittsburgh

LeonardRachiele

Clarence Peaks Peaks in Pittsburgh

Post by LeonardRachiele »

In the NFL, it seems like teams have one main running back.  There is no alternate runner to carry the ball and take pressure off the big star.  During some of Brian Westbrook's time as an Eagle, he was basically the only running threat and a great pass catcher.  With rule changes favoring the offense,  running backs today have to be  good pass receivers.

In prior days,  there were good secondary backs. {I use the term secondary for want of a better word}. For example, Dallas had Tony Dorsett and Robert Newhouse then Emmit Smith and Butch Johnson.  However, looking at a team with a losing record, the 1964 Pittsburgh Steelers, may show my point better.  That year Pittsburgh finished 5-9.  They were next to last in the Eastern Division, almost last in passing, and yet fourth in rushing.  They ran the ball well despite weak passing to keep the defenses honest.  The teams that finished ahead of the Steelers in rushing were the:

Green Bay Packers 8-5-1
Baltimore Colts 12-2
Cleveland Browns 10-3-1

{I do not know the order but , as stated , all were ahead of Pittsburgh on the ground.}  I wonder how good the Steelers would have been with just an average passing game.  There are three reasons why the ground game excelled.

--the Steelers had a great offensive line-Buzz Nutter, Ray Lemek, Charlie Bradshaw, and Mike Sandusky.  They also were good at pass protection.  Nevertheless, quarterback Ed Brown, at 35, floundered often throwing floaters without any zip and as might be expected interceptions.  Gary Ballman was the really the only big receiver and other teams generally double teamed him.

--John John Henry Johnson rushed for 1,048 yards, third best in the NFL behind Jimmy Brown from Cleveland and Jim Taylor from Green Bay.   In week five,  Johnson had the finest  game his career, the best game of any back that season, and set a Steeler record.  At Cleveland, Johnson rushed 30 times for 200 yards and scored three touchdown on runs of 33, 45, and 4 yards.  The Steelers defeated the Browns 23 to 7.

--the third reason was Clarence Peaks, an offseason acquisition from the Philadelphia Eagles.  Peaks drew the attention of the other teams with 510 yards or a 4.3 yards per carry.  This was the Peaks' best season rushing  and Johnson would not have had 1,000+ yards without him.  Peaks had three notable games:

Week 5 at  Cleveland- In the game I just mention Peaks carried 21 times for 96 yards.  Together Johnson and Peaks gained 296 yards.  I cannot recall even Franco Harris and Rocky Bleir together gaining just shy of 300 yards.
Week 7 at Pitt Stadium vs the Eagles.  At the Pittsburgh 30, Peaks took the hand off  and raced 70 yards for a touchdown.  For the day, Peaks had 110 yards. Aside from that play, the Steelers were bad losing 34 to 10.
Week 11 at Yankee Stadium.  Johnson gained 106 in 25 carries and scored two touchdowns.  In addition, Peaks  carried 15 times for 97 yards and also set up a touchdown with a 41 yard pass reception. Pittsburgh beat the Giants 44 to 17.  This was third highest score in team history

So I ask Without Peaks would the Steelers have won even five games?