Steve McMichael: HOF?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: Steve McMichael: HOF?

Post by Brian wolf »

I understand the Powell argument but Maynard and Biletnikoff made the HOF and when Powell played alongside them, they were the second options. People can say that he was a primadonna, didnt want to workout or take his training serious enough, maybe selfish but he also championed the black athlete and wanted dignity and respect from owners, teams and fans. The future players might have gained from it ...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:I understand the Powell argument but Maynard and Biletnikoff made the HOF and when Powell played alongside them,
I see Powell as being dominant first half of the 1960s---in the area of a developing league. Maynard was more dominant last half of 1960s but
also a couple good years pre-1965...Biletnikoff came later...

Alworth is the transition guy dominant in the developing AFL and the one that beat the NFL, that has to be considered on par.

Powell is different in that all his huge years were 1964 and prior, so I kind of make that distinction in his case...it may be a small
point but to me it's different that the others who had big years past the adolescence of the AFL
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

True John but after the merger agreement, Powell was still one of the top receivers in professional football and had he not gotten hurt with Buffalo, might have easily put up big numbers in 1967 as well. His only catch for the Vikings in 1968 went for 31 yards. Could he have helped Kapp and the team more that season, depending upon injuries?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:True John but after the merger agreement, Powell was still one of the top receivers in professional football and had he not gotten hurt with Buffalo, might have easily put up big numbers in 1967 as well. His only catch for the Vikings in 1968 went for 31 yards. Could he have helped Kapp and the team more that season, depending upon injuries?
It's a valid question as to what he might have done had he not been hurt and it certainly did kill his career...so many of those AFL guys, WRs, RBs, DLmen...short careers
just a shame
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

9 of12 players that you cited made the Finalist list John ... not too shabby. I was 8 of 12 from my predictions on Zoneblitz.com ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:9 of12 players that you cited made the Finalist list John ... not too shabby. I was 8 of 12 from my predictions on Zoneblitz.com ...
I went 6/12
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Maybe now with McMichael possibly voted in, it opens the door for Michael Dean Perry to advance. Powell may get elected as well but we cant assume both will get the 80% vote but they probably will. If Powell is elected, the only other 60s' receivers I endorse are Shofner, Retzlaff and Howton, though Howton was mostly 50s'. Collins, Hennigan and Lionel Taylor just miss, though the last two have the same argument as Powell.
Lightning wont strike for them I believe ...

Those TDs for Collins is impressive though. He and Warfield complimented each other well, with QBs Ryan choosing Collins and Nelson going with Warfield ...

I am still dumbfounded with how effective Jethro Pugh was as a pass rusher. Counting postseason this guy had 105 sacks and a SB ring, yet no accolades other than a second team All-Pro selection. Andrie is underrated as well, showing how much attention went to Bob Lilly.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote:Maybe now with McMichael possibly voted in, it opens the door for Michael Dean Perry to advance.
Would like to see that--just my opinion but I have MDP>SM --- Perry a lot of TFLs ...
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

JohnTurney wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:57 pm
Brian wolf wrote:Maybe now with McMichael possibly voted in, it opens the door for Michael Dean Perry to advance.
Would like to see that--just my opinion but I have MDP>SM --- Perry a lot of TFLs ...
1000% agree. This is going to sound odd coming from me but lots of numbers here but I watched the careers of MDP and Mongo and one popped and the other didn't. It's clearly MDP.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnTurney wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:56 pm Randy Gradishar presumed inducted
Albert Lewis
Al Wistert
Mike Kenn
Joe Jacoby
Sterling Sharpe

Bob Kuechenberg
Clay Matthews
Eddie Meador
Steve McMichael presumed inducted
Maxie Baughan
Art Powell presumed inducted
Curious to see if any the super seniors ever make final 12 again.

These are players who have made the final 12 plus I think Kunz may get a bit of a push and a couple SS who have been
mentioned some, mostly bu us, If Hall goes back to 1 or 2 seniors, down from 3, it's going to be a problem for these guys.

Albert Lewis
Mike Kenn
Joe Jacoby
Sterling Sharpe -- leading candidate
Bob Kuechenberg
Clay Matthews
Eddie Meador
Tommy Nobis
Maxie Baughan
Ken Anderson
Otis Taylor
Everson Walls