I think it is time to extend the field

lastcat3

I think it is time to extend the field

Post by lastcat3 »

I think it is time to extend the length of the field to 120 yards or perhaps 150. That final 13 seconds of the Bills/Chiefs game was just ridiculous. I don't care who the qb is. We have had quarterbacks who were a lot better than Mahomes in this league and they could never even dream of doing that. THe NFL has officially turned into the Arena League. They seriously need to have conversations about how they can bring defense back into the league. I know fans like seeing points scored and that is the main reason the league has turned into what it is now but a point has got to eventually come where it becomes too much.
racepug

Re: I think it is time to extend the field

Post by racepug »

There was some pretty good "D" shown in other games this weekend. I just think that the Bills' defense was gassed after that "25 points in less than two minutes" scoring outburst at the end of that game.
Last edited by racepug on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Maybe something they could do is create a separate salary cap for both offense and defense. Right now teams put the vast majority of their money into offense and that is probably a big reason we see what we see. If they allowed defense to have their own salary cap though teams could stockpile talent on defense as well and the better defenses could stand up to these offenses.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The only way to truly bring back defensive football is for pass interference to be only a 15 yard penalty and the League to quit worrying about QBs wearing dresses and getting hurt and allow them to continue to get hit hard without calling so many roughing penalties. I know the days of bounties on QBs are over but defenses should still be allowed to hit the QB without repercussion unless its ridiculously obvious ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Basketball on (plastic) grass---that's what the game has been for some time now. It's also the reason that while I give props to Tom Brady, I'll never consider him the GOAT. If he'd taken the pounding that earlier QBs had, no way does he get to wear all that ring candy. Jeezus, poor baby gets a boo-boo on his lip and is so upset he draws the first unsportsmanlike penalty of his career arguing with the ref about it. It's a good thing that Gazelle (or whatever her name is) was at the stadium. She could rush one of her dresses to TB in the locker room at halftime (along with a granola bar).
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:The only way to truly bring back defensive football is for pass interference to be only a 15 yard penalty
The N.F.L. should do pass interference the way the C.F.L. does it: deemed deliberate and it's a spot foul. Deemed accidental and it's "15 yards and an automatic first down." But I've never had the impression that the N.F.L. is particularly eager to adopt rules from other football leagues (perhaps it feels that it's superior to all other football leagues and shouldn't "lower itself" to doing so?).
Brian wolf wrote:and the League to quit worrying about QBs wearing dresses and getting hurt and allow them to continue to get hit hard without calling so many roughing penalties. I know the days of bounties on QBs are over but defenses should still be allowed to hit the QB without repercussion unless its ridiculously obvious ...
I agree that the "roughing the passer" pendulum has swung WAAAAY too far in the direction of "you can't give a QB a dirty look these days without drawing a penalty flag." If Jack Lambert were dead he'd be rolling over in his grave considering the breaks the offense gets in the N.F.L. these days.
racepug

Post by racepug »

RichardBak wrote:Basketball on (plastic) grass---that's what the game has been for some time now. It's also the reason that while I give props to Tom Brady, I'll never consider him the GOAT. If he'd taken the pounding that earlier QBs had, no way does he get to wear all that ring candy. Jeezus, poor baby gets a boo-boo on his lip and is so upset he draws the first unsportsmanlike penalty of his career arguing with the ref about it. It's a good thing that Gazelle (or whatever her name is) was at the stadium. She could rush one of her dresses to TB in the locker room at halftime (along with a granola bar).
:lol:
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Or go back to three downs to gain 10 yards like it used to be. I've yet to see the reason WHY the American intercollegiate rules committee changed it to four downs in 1912. They purposefully went to three downs to gain 10 yards (instead of five yards) in 1906 to open up the game and force more passing, thus making the game less ground-and-pound.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

This sounds about right:
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 3.04.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 3.04.06 PM.png (52.76 KiB) Viewed 9745 times
offense (sorry, that word got cut off)

I would leave the rules for now. Not every team has a QB who can do what Mahomes and Allen did yesterday. And not every coach would get hyper-conservative on defense like the Bills did up 3 with so little time remaining. They played not to lose, but a tie in regulation turned out to be the same as a loss. Neither QB actually threw for 400 yards. With new rules Garoppolo will be under 100.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

RyanChristiansen wrote:Or go back to three downs to gain 10 yards like it used to be. I've yet to see the reason WHY the American intercollegiate rules committee changed it to four downs in 1912. They purposefully went to three downs to gain 10 yards (instead of five yards) in 1906 to open up the game and force more passing, thus making the game less ground-and-pound.

Ironically, the CFL is giving exploratory consideration to the horrible idea of going to 4 downs to spice up our game. I like your idea of the NFL going the other way much better.