Best all-time roster: Centers

RichardBak

Re: Best all-time roster: Centers

Post by RichardBak »

Gary Najman wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:40 pm
RichardBak wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:58 pm Ed Flanagan isn't one of the all-time greats, but he was the center for the first 10 years I really started following the Lions. He was there when I was in grade school, when I graduated from high school, when I worked in the auto plant, and when I was in the Marines. Like so many guys in all the sports in those pre-free agency days, it seemed like he was gonna be here forever. He made a few Pro Bowls and had some great personal battles with Dick Butkus, who he considered the most foul-mouthed guy in the league. Ed died this past spring. RIP Ed.
Flanagan finished his career with two seasons for the Chargers. In the 1977 Street&Smith's magazine it is still listed in San Diego's roster, but I believe he retired or was released before the season. Ralph Perretta, another former Boilermaker like Flanagan, replaced him.

Speaking of the Lions, they have had solid centers like Flanagan, Jon Morris, Kevin Glover, Dominic Raiola and Frank Ragnow.
I know, that's what's so funny. It seemed like Ed followed me out to San Diego when I was stationed in California. I saw him play in a preseason game.

As far as those great Flanagan-Butkus battles I referenced, how strange that #51 just died a few months after Ed. I feel like I jinxed the guy. Well, maybe they're enjoying a beer wherever they (and we) all wind up when the clock runs out.
Saban1

Re: Best all-time roster: Centers

Post by Saban1 »

Detroit had a couple of good ones in the 50's with Vince Banonis and Charlie Ane. Frank Gatski in 1957.