BOMBSHELL, at least to me.

JohnTurney

BOMBSHELL, at least to me.

Post by JohnTurney »

Maybe all of you knew----I did not, the NFL 100 team was voted on in June 2018

So, 2018 and 2019 DID not COUNT

Explains JJ Watt, for example. or Aaron Donald.

Maybe a few others who may have been omitted due to short career
that would have had 2 more years (kind of) if they voted, say, mid-season 2019

Think about this, Watt was coming off 2 injury-marred seasons but plays great in 2018
and was playing well in 2019 until hurt.

If voting was about time he went down in 2019, he would, I bet have made the team.
Reaser

Re: BOMBSHELL, at least to me.

Post by Reaser »

I noticed this after the WR show.

When Deion and Largent were on, and they were talking to Judy Battista and her answer for everything was that they "voted two years ago."

They kind of made her look bad, Deion especially was grilling her, because he would ask "did you vote for [player]?" and she would say no. Then she said what went into her voting and it was a lot of listing of stats and Deion said something along the lines of "you just listed all those stats and you didn't vote for T.O.?", which she didn't. Wasn't a good outing, for her.

I personally didn't like that she made it out to be a non-serious thing, "lists are for controversy" or something like that was what she said.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Reaser wrote:I noticed this after the WR show.

When Deion and Largent were on, and they were talking to Judy Battista and her answer for everything was that they "voted two years ago."
I guess had I watched the shows I would have learned that----I cannot stand those, so I wait until they are on Youtube, no ads and I can watch
Bill Belichick and listen to him without having to listen to Collinsworth and LT or Deion, etc...

It was news to me.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JohnTurney wrote:I guess had I watched the shows I would have learned that----I cannot stand those, so I wait until they are on Youtube, no ads and I can watch
Bill Belichick and listen to him without having to listen to Collinsworth and LT or Deion, etc...

It was news to me.
For sure. Those were the post-show discussion shows. I only watched because they had on other guests that made the 'team' but there was a lot of the typical nonsense. Though, the WR post-show discussion was great for me since it was Largent and Deion and first piece of clothing put on me after I was born was #80 Seahawks and majority of pictures of me in the 80's I'm in a #80 Seahawks jersey -- then a majority of pictures in the early 90's (including when I was in a car magazine next to my Uncle after he won a championship) I'm in my #21 Falcons jersey. So that's basically my two favorite players there. Definitely sign me up for that. Such an odd contrast to have had them side-by-side for an hour talking about the history of football but somehow it worked. Deion wasn't ridiculous like usual and doesn't get anymore honest or humble than Steve Largent so that one was worth watching, to me.

And yes, Belichick was by far the best part of the actual NFL 100 shows. Similarly, the Belichick and Saban doc on HBO from a couple weeks ago was fantanstic, I watched it original airing then immediately watched the replay I like it so much. Pure football. It's what you get when you put two football people in a room, actual football conversation. No nonsense about stats, just talking real football.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Reaser wrote:I noticed this after the WR show.

They kind of made her look bad, Deion especially was grilling her, because he would ask "did you vote for [player]?" and she would say no. Then she said what went into her voting and it was a lot of listing of stats and Deion said something along the lines of "you just listed all those stats and you didn't vote for T.O.?", which she didn't. Wasn't a good outing, for her.

I personally didn't like that she made it out to be a non-serious thing, "lists are for controversy" or something like that was what she said.
The wide receiver one was the only one I didn't watch yet. I recorded it, though. The voting having been done in 2018 was noted in one of the other shows, maybe the lineman one.

I contend it would have killed nobody to have had the NFL 100 All-Time Team decided upon AFTER 100 seasons were in the books. Was it not possible to get a panel together one weekend in May or June of 2020 to decide on players? If not that, then assign a manager for this project and have him/her put some giant list together (maybe all HOFers and all active or recently retired players with at least one All-Pro team selection) and mail it to the panelists. Maybe enlarge the panel too.

I just don't fully get what happened here. It seemed rushed. This was not some grand production either. It was Rich Eisen, Belichick, and Collinsworth saying a few things and looking at highlights and then some of the players joining them on set to say things.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:I contend it would have killed nobody to have had the NFL 100 All-Time Team decided upon AFTER 100 seasons were in the books. Was it not possible to get a panel together one weekend in May or June of 2020 to decide on players? If not that, then assign a manager for this project and have him/her put some giant list together (maybe all HOFers and all active or recently retired players with at least one All-Pro team selection) and mail it to the panelists. Maybe enlarge the panel too.

I just don't fully get what happened here. It seemed rushed. This was not some grand production either. It was Rich Eisen, Belichick, and Collinsworth saying a few things and looking at highlights and then some of the players joining them on set to say things.
Exactly. I believe I said similar when this was announced -- they're not doing it after 100 seasons, it's not a "100th anniversary team", it's just 'NFL 100'. Similar issue with the 75th Anniversary team.

Then we find out it's really the NFL 98th anniversary team.

Not exactly surprising when you consider everyone involved that it's this sort of debacle.

Definitely should have been after 100 seasons were played, and something taken seriously. Not "creating a list to create controversy" with not a lot of thought put into basic things like the makeup of the team, and not even being able to follow their own explicitly stated 'rules' for voting on the 'team'.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JWL wrote:
I contend it would have killed nobody to have had the NFL 100 All-Time Team decided upon AFTER 100 seasons were in the books.

couldn't agree more
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

JohnTurney wrote:
JWL wrote:
I contend it would have killed nobody to have had the NFL 100 All-Time Team decided upon AFTER 100 seasons were in the books.

couldn't agree more
Yeah, this was pretty bush league. If you're going to call it the NFL 100 team, how about actually meaning it? Definitely explains Watt and Donald and perhaps Brees too, but not LT. I think TO missed for the same reason he wasn't first ballot, vendettas.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

The NFL 98 All-Time Team! How exciting! How unbelievably stupid!

Drew Brees was touch and go to make it on my list of QBs but I have no doubt he would have made the official team if the vote was taken in 2019.
boknows34

Post by boknows34 »

Heard about this a few weeks ago. No reason why they couldn’t have voted on this now or soon after the season and broadcast the shows during the offseason or even next September to coincide with the 100th anniversary.