Owens choosing not to attend his Hall of Fame induction

lastcat3

Owens choosing not to attend his Hall of Fame induction

Post by lastcat3 »

What do you guys think of this. This shows how truly immature Terrell Owens was/and probably still is. I honestly think if someone can't bother to attend (unless of course special circumstances arise) then they shouldn't be a part of the HOF at all. I'd say just take the guy off the list and find someone else who would be a better ambassador for the Hall.
Bryan

Re: Owens choosing not to attend his Hall of Fame induction

Post by Bryan »

I don't really mind Owens not attending his induction. It doesn't change my opinion of Owens the player or person. I was actually looking forward to hearing his speech, because it probably would have been memorable one way or another, but it's his choice to attend or not.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Bryan wrote:I don't really mind Owens not attending his induction. It doesn't change my opinion of Owens the player or person. I was actually looking forward to hearing his speech, because it probably would have been memorable one way or another, but it's his choice to attend or not.
I agree. Showing up is not a prerequisite for induction amongst the game's legends. I think it's a little petty, but TO has been petty throughout the 21st century. But he's not a horrible person, and his career warranted a spot in the HOF.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

lastcat3 wrote:What do you guys think of this. This shows how truly immature Terrell Owens was/and probably still is. I honestly think if someone can't bother to attend (unless of course special circumstances arise) then they shouldn't be a part of the HOF at all. I'd say just take the guy off the list and find someone else who would be a better ambassador for the Hall.

Attending the ceremony is the least a new inductee should do, it is an honor, after all. We don't want some kind of precedence where guys like Owens go somewhere else for their speech. Happy to see the HOF will be minimizing Owens' visibility at the ceremony.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Happy to see the HOF will be minimizing Owens' visibility at the ceremony.
How so?
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
How so?
Owens is minimizing his own visibility.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

JohnH19 wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:
How so?
Owens is minimizing his own visibility.

The HOF is also smart to eliminate the potential jeering and booing which would have occurred during Owens' video segment during the event. When an organization honors someone, you expect said person to do the minimum, and show up to the ceremony. It's not up to the player to decide when they get selected for the HOF, that mentality doesn't fly.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As far as I am concerned if Owen's immaturity and selfishness were going to keep him out of "the Hall" then it should have been the electors who decided so.

His response was predictable and should have been anticipated.
It will probably be best for all concerned that he doesn't go to Canton and, once elected, I have no problem with his decision to not attend his own induction.

On the other hand, I never would've voted to include Terrell Owens in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
How so?
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2407 ... ceremonies
conace21

Post by conace21 »

After today's meeting, a dozen people met up for dinner and this topic came up. I think it's a shame that Owens is missing the presentation of the gold jackets at the dinner the night before the ceremony. A few members who have been to several of those dinners agreed, as all the existing HOFers in town are there, and that is when it really hits the inductees as to what kind of group they've been elected to.