Looking for a QB

Wendell02

Looking for a QB

Post by Wendell02 »

On 11/5/1961 San Diego's Charlie McNeil recorded a pick six against the NY Titans. I'm looking for the NY QB who threw the pass. It's either Al Dorow or Bob Scrabis.
John Grasso

Re: Looking for a QB

Post by John Grasso »

It was Dorow according to the L.A. Times
https://www.newspapers.com/image/385795 ... l+chargers
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

Thanks John!
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Didn't Coach TJ Troup compile a list of every interception and linked it from the QB who threw it to the guy who picked it off? If so, did he ever publish his list? I wish he still posted here; he was possibly the world's foremost expert on pre-1960 defensive pro football.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

I compiled a list for those returned for TDs. So far I have 2,803 in the regular season. With the Dorow answer, I'm down to 49 missing passers, all before 1937.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Wendell02 wrote:I compiled a list for those returned for TDs. So far I have 2,803 in the regular season. With the Dorow answer, I'm down to 49 missing passers, all before 1937.
Do you have all of Buffalo's from the 20s?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

I only have 2 of 6 involving Buffalo teams, either the All-Americans or the Bisons. Not sure if these teams are considered the same franchise.
11/30/1922: Carl Thomas of the All-Americans intercepted Chet Wynne of Rochester
11/1/1925: Tex Hamer of Frankford intercepted Jim Kendrick of the Bisons
Missing:
10/2/1921: Johnny Scott, All-Americans intercepted someone from Hammond
11/6/1921: Joe Guyon, Cleve. Tigers intercepted someone from the All-Americans
12/4/1921: Guy Chamberlin, Bears intercepted someone from the All-Americans
9/26/1925: Tex Hamer, Frankford intercepted someone from the Bisons
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Wendell02 wrote:I only have 2 of 6 involving Buffalo teams, either the All-Americans or the Bisons. Not sure if these teams are considered the same franchise.
11/30/1922: Carl Thomas of the All-Americans intercepted Chet Wynne of Rochester
11/1/1925: Tex Hamer of Frankford intercepted Jim Kendrick of the Bisons
Missing:
10/2/1921: Johnny Scott, All-Americans intercepted someone from Hammond
11/6/1921: Joe Guyon, Cleve. Tigers intercepted someone from the All-Americans
12/4/1921: Guy Chamberlin, Bears intercepted someone from the All-Americans
9/26/1925: Tex Hamer, Frankford intercepted someone from the Bisons
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I compiled a list for those returned for TDs. So far I have 2,803 in the regular season. With the Dorow answer, I'm down to 49 missing passers, all before 1937.
Just curious... What is the most occurring QB to interceptor combo in NFL history?

I would think Dan Pastorini to Ken Riley has to be pretty high on the list.
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

There are many "twos", but only three "threes". Bart Starr to Lem Barney, Charley Johnson to Bobby Bell and (if you count playoffs), Donovan McNabb to Ronde Barber. As for Pastorini and Riley, none. Pastorini was picked by Andy Russell, Bill Thompson, Glen Edwards, Jimmy Warren, Barney and Ronnie Lott. Riley picked Brian Sipe, Jack Thompson, Jim Plunkett, Lynn Dickey and Pat Sullivan.

Couple more tidbits. Tom Landry pick sixed Otto Graham twice. The Woodson's, Rod and Charles, stole from the most QBs (11), but no one beats Willie Brown for quality. All five came against HOF QBs (Tarkenton, Dawson, Bradshaw and Griese (twice), and three were in the playoffs.