’81 Browns - what happened?

74_75_78_79_

’81 Browns - what happened?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Many expectations going into regular season. Many saw their hosting SD the first (MNF) game of year as a ‘war’. Chargers, in their blue road-unis, utterly destroyed them! And Browns were bad rest of campaign. Did, FWIW, make ‘tournament’ the following, shortened season and then finish 9-7 in ’83 only to not make playoffs. In ’84 they start 1-7, basically ushering in Marty ball. Seems as if ’81 would have met expectations, perhaps Rutigliano coaches on.

Thoughts?
JohnTurney

Cocaine

Post by JohnTurney »

according to Sam Rutigliano coke infected too many of his good players. Said it caused problems and caused losses. I think, in 1982, they brought Carl Eller in to speak, he was doing anti-drug message things in that era. I could have year wrong for that. But FWIW that is one of the things SR said when asked. Somewhere there are articles on it
BD Sullivan

Re: Cocaine

Post by BD Sullivan »

JohnTurney wrote:according to Sam Rutigliano coke infected too many of his good players. Said it caused problems and caused losses. I think, in 1982, they brought Carl Eller in to speak, he was doing anti-drug message things in that era. I could have year wrong for that. But FWIW that is one of the things SR said when asked. Somewhere there are articles on it
That's what brought about his creation of the Inner Circle--sort of a private drug counseling, group therapy setup.

Early on, they had matched the 80 team by starting out 2-2, and they were still 4-4 at the midway point. However, consecutive losses to Buffalo and Denver (OT) hurt, but an upset win over SF gave them hope. That died with consecutive blowout losses at home to Pittsburgh and Cincy. The fact that two of their five wins came against the two Super Bowl teams (the only team that year to do it) still amazes me.
L.C. Greenwood

Re: ’81 Browns - what happened?

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Many expectations going into regular season. Many saw their hosting SD the first (MNF) game of year as a ‘war’. Chargers, in their blue road-unis, utterly destroyed them! And Browns were bad rest of campaign. Did, FWIW, make ‘tournament’ the following, shortened season and then finish 9-7 in ’83 only to not make playoffs. In ’84 they start 1-7, basically ushering in Marty ball. Seems as if ’81 would have met expectations, perhaps Rutigliano coaches on.

Thoughts?
Unlike the Cardiac Kids of 1980, the 1981 Browns struggled in close games, losing five by a TD or less. I also think the devastating playoff loss to Oakland the season before wasn't helpful, as Cleveland started 0-2 that season. And with cocaine being everywhere in pro sports during this era, it's certainly possible some teams were affected more than others. It was that plentiful, and this was years before famous cocaine-related deaths made headlines.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I posted this article before in the old forums. It’s about the ’81 NYG@Philly WC game; some of the Eagle players apparently doing drugs (coke) the night before the game...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987 ... r-rick-bay
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:Many expectations going into regular season. Many saw their hosting SD the first (MNF) game of year as a ‘war’. Chargers, in their blue road-unis, utterly destroyed them! And Browns were bad rest of campaign. Did, FWIW, make ‘tournament’ the following, shortened season and then finish 9-7 in ’83 only to not make playoffs. In ’84 they start 1-7, basically ushering in Marty ball. Seems as if ’81 would have met expectations, perhaps Rutigliano coaches on.

Thoughts?
Unlike the Cardiac Kids of 1980, the 1981 Browns struggled in close games, losing five by a TD or less. I also think the devastating playoff loss to Oakland the season before wasn't helpful, as Cleveland started 0-2 that season. And with cocaine being everywhere in pro sports during this era, it's certainly possible some teams were affected more than others. It was that plentiful, and this was years before famous cocaine-related deaths made headlines.
One of them being the Browns' Don Rogers in 1986.