NFL expansion in Toronto

74_75_78_79_

NFL expansion in Toronto

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

First off, I hope it would never happen. Though I don’t really follow the CFL (if only due to the lack of teams, with most making playoffs), I got enough respect for it and it’s history to never want to see it take a blow. In the event of a possible NFL expanding to Toronto, do you think it would create a domino-effect at the CFL’s expense? Or could Toronto possibly be big enough for both such franchises without it effecting the CFL?

Also, do you think that there’s any other Canadian city that could feasibly host an NFL team? Or would Toronto be the only possible candidate?
Rupert Patrick

Re: NFL expansion in Toronto

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Montreal couldn't hold an MLB team, and Vancouver couldn't hold onto their NBA team either.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Toronto would have to build a suitable stadium to have even a prayer of getting a team. No other Canadian city has ever shown a glimmer of interest in obtaining one.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Toronto could certainly support a team. I think expension north of the border hasn’t happened yet is sort of a “gentleman’s agreement” with the CFL. You don’t touch our territory we don’t touch yours. Although the CFL in the mid-90s pokes a hole in that theory. Support for the Bills Toronto games was lackluster which is part of the reason it was ended. Now that MAY be because it wasn’t “their” team.

After Ralph Wilson passed away there were three in the running to purchase the team. Terry Pagula (current owner), Jon Bon Jovi and Donald Trump. (not making this up) It was fairly common knowledge that Bon Jovi’s intent was to move the team to Toronto permanently.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I would follow the CFL if it was modeled more closely (or followed the exact) same rules as the NFL. And yes 9 teams is a ridiculously small league. Though perhaps that's all that country can support in terms of football. I'd like to see at least 14 teams
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

sheajets wrote:I would follow the CFL if it was modeled more closely (or followed the exact) same rules as the NFL. And yes 9 teams is a ridiculously small league. Though perhaps that's all that country can support in terms of football. I'd like to see at least 14 teams
Canada's population is just over 10% of the U.S. population. It has only four cities with more than a million people and only nine cities with more than a half million. After all, hockey as we know it was invented in Canada, yet it has only seven NHL teams, so I suspect nine is about its limit for football.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Toronto could certainly support a team. I think expension north of the border hasn’t happened yet is sort of a “gentleman’s agreement” with the CFL. You don’t touch our territory we don’t touch yours. Although the CFL in the mid-90s pokes a hole in that theory. Support for the Bills Toronto games was lackluster which is part of the reason it was ended. Now that MAY be because it wasn’t “their” team.

After Ralph Wilson passed away there were three in the running to purchase the team. Terry Pagula (current owner), Jon Bon Jovi and Donald Trump. (not making this up) It was fairly common knowledge that Bon Jovi’s intent was to move the team to Toronto permanently.
The ticket prices also didn't help Toronto's cause.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

rhickok1109 wrote:
sheajets wrote:I would follow the CFL if it was modeled more closely (or followed the exact) same rules as the NFL. And yes 9 teams is a ridiculously small league. Though perhaps that's all that country can support in terms of football. I'd like to see at least 14 teams
Canada's population is just over 10% of the U.S. population. It has only four cities with more than a million people and only nine cities with more than a half million. After all, hockey as we know it was invented in Canada, yet it has only seven NHL teams, so I suspect nine is about its limit for football.
Give me a tenth team (Quebec City? Halifax?), just 4 playoff teams, and I’m all-in!
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Montreal couldn't hold an MLB team, and Vancouver couldn't hold onto their NBA team either.
Montreal mismanaged their way out of the league. The Grizzlies made mistakes, but were greatly handicapped by prohibitive conditions imposed by the league on their entry into the league. Ultimately what ended the Grizzlies wasn't "Vancouver couldn't hold onto their team", it was that the parent company was overextended after building the arena and got torpedoed by a record-low Canadian dollar. They were forced to sell all their holdings to John McCaw, and he ended up selling the Grizzlies to somebody who was able to find a more profitable location.

You can't really compare the experience of two teams in sports that have virtually no revenue sharing with a sport where profit is virtually guaranteed because of revenue sharing. Montreal could easily support an NFL team. Vancouver could certainly do so in theory, but the difficulty is the local government being very much anti-stadium. They recently refused a deal with the MLS Vancouver Whitecaps where they wanted the city to provide the land and the team would fund the construction of the stadium themselves, but the city refused. There are several places in nearby suburbs that would be ideal for a stadium -- lots of space for parking, and close to rapid transit.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I also agree Montreal could definitely support an NFL team. Greater Montreal is over 4 million people. The disposable income is there. However it is an extremely fickle sporting town. People forget even the lordly Canadiens nearly bolted for Cleveland at one point.Aside from the early 80's the Expos NEVER drew. Even 1994. That team was 11th in the NL in attendance. The only attendance uptick in their history seems to have been a brief flirtation of the sport.

One day I do believe Montreal will show up on the NFL radar as an expansion or relocation target, but they'd better do there homework and make sure they love NFL football and want it to stay for the long haul