"It DID move"

Bob Gill

"It DID move"

Post by Bob Gill »

Just have to say, the disallowed game-winning touchdown by the Steelers today is the worst call I've ever seen in an NFL game. It breaks a 42-year-old record previously held by Mel Gray's phantom game-winning "catch" for the Cardinals against the Redskins. I was ROOTING for the Redskins, and in this case I was just a disinterested observer. Even so, I thought this one was worse.

What really grates about these ridiculous rulings is that if you ask 1,000 people whether that was a catch, every one of them will say of course it was. Everybody knows what it means to catch the ball. But the NFL's line is that they're just civilians, and only the officials and rule-makers can really tell what a catch is.

Well, I don't want to waste a lot of time beating a dead horse, but that one was just revolting.
Last edited by Bob Gill on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert Patrick

Re: "It DID move"

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Nantz and Romo watched the play about eight times from all the different angles, and it wasn't until about sixty seconds had passed after the play ended before they started to say the ball moved. I thought it was a terrible call too, and I hope that ref has police protection to get out of Heinz Field because he'll need it.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

While it was being reviewed I said to myself, "Well, since the *two Austin Seferian-Jenkins touchdowns were overturned, then this one has to be overturned too if there is any consistency in how these types of plays are ruled."

*While the one vs the Patriots can at least be argued (and it was in this forum), the one vs the Panthers was similar to this Jesse James play in that the ruling defied common sense. I think the officials wanted Austin Seferian-Jenkins to take out Gorilla glue from his pants and glue the ball to himself after he left the field of play. James had caught the ball and it was "in space" for a split second as he purposefully tried to extend it into the end zone. There was nothing "incomplete" about either play.
Last edited by JWL on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Why do the Patriots need calls like this to win a lot of the time?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:Why do the Patriots need calls like this to win a lot of the time?
The Raiders used to do the same thing back in the 70's.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

There was also an obvious (to me) act of taunting after the game-winning touchdown. Upon review, it was clearly taunting. Rob Gronkowski pointed at and laughed at the Pitt defender who allowed the touchdown.

Today we also saw flags thrown for unnecessary roughness on players who had just been unnecessarily roughed. Eagles and Jets players were flagged after Giants and Saints players, respectively, got away with stuff.

The rule book is too busy and officials are blind and dumb half the time.
Last edited by JWL on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

When did the rule change? I seem to remember that if a ballcarrier had the ball in his hands and broke
the plane of the goal line even for a split second it was a touchdown. Now it seems that you have to hold on to
the ball without it moving an inch until an official says you can let go of it. Agree with Bob that this was
one of the worst calls made. Why aren't officials allowed to use common-sense?
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

My question is; was there clear evidence that the ball touched the ground? Yes, the ball "moved" but did James have his hand or arm under it? There was no visual that showed it touching the ground.

It's all such a load of BS. I can't believe the league doesn't just let a catch be a catch. it isn't rocket science.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

The call on replay was absolutely correct, even though I think it is an injustice, and I despise the Patriots. When James extended the ball, he had his hands on each side of the ball. When the ball/hands hit the ground, his left hand was knocked off the ball completely and landed back on top of the ball. The ball was on the ground more than on top of his right hand. Incomplete. The rule was modified in the last couple years so that the ball could hit the ground so long as you maintained control of it. If James could have kept his left hand under the ball, the touchdown would have stood.

Nantz and Romo were caught up in the excitement, and were mostly focused on whether he was touched down before the ball crossed the plane.

Regarding the ball being dead as soon as it crosses the plane, the receiver still has to complete the catch in the end zone or out of bounds.

Technology can be a curse and a blessing.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

This play did not affect what the Steelers did on the next two plays, which was horrible. A FG still sends the game into OT.

There was another weird reversal in the Panthers/Packers game, going the other way, where the Panthers got a TD off what looked initially like out of bounds. It looked like the Panthers' player Damiere Byrd had his butt cheek land in bounds a fraction before the rest of his body. Impossible to see in real time.

Of greater concern was Thomas Davis' hit on Davante Adams after an INT. Davis showed remorse, but he should have been kicked out of the game. Really, with that type of hit there should be ejections. Eventually the NFL will go the college way and do more ejections, more immediate punishments on those hits. I have no problem with that.