MMQB All-Time Draft

Mark Durr

MMQB All-Time Draft

Post by Mark Durr »

A very cool and fun bit of pro football history debuted yesterday in the “Monday Morning Quarterback” column by Peter King at SI.com. Those who drafted players from the NFL, AFL and AAFC include some familiar names, including our very own John Turney -- go Team Turney!

LINKS:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/17/all-t ... morning-qb

https://si.com/specials/mmqb-nfl-all-time-draft/
ChrisBabcock

Re: MMQB All-Time Draft

Post by ChrisBabcock »

oh my goodness... I need to block out a few hours to look at all that. Very interesting!
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

It's telling how much ink King expended defending the Hutaon over Rice pick. All in all though I was heartened they picked as many older players as they did, particularly like the Bein pick.

Fouts' picks reinforce that he shouldn't be sitting on on HOF voting to "assist" them.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

It's telling how much ink King expended defending the Hutson over Rice pick.

I've heard him make the case for Hutson being the NFL's greatest PLAYER of all time. (any position, any era)
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

NWebster wrote:It's telling how much ink King expended defending the Hutaon over Rice pick. All in all though I was heartened they picked as many older players as they did, particularly like the Bein pick.

Fouts' picks reinforce that he shouldn't be sitting on on HOF voting to "assist" them.
If any receiver is in Rice's ballpark, am thinking it's Hutson. Plus he could help out in the defensive backfield. I can see it, but not sure I'd do the same.

Agreed, Fouts probably came up with the worst team -- lots of just okay Charger partisan picks. Also agree this helps underline a problem with players helping choose HoF members -- partisanship. His picking a punter in Round 1 and PK in Round 4 isn't too wise, either. Wasn't especially taken with Wooten's squad either, though it's better than Fouts's.

Kudos to John, who arguably picked the best team.

Also kind of surprising to see some of the other folks have out-of-position defensive players (one guy chose all OLBs, if memory serves).
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Looking a little more closely, really liked John's offense and special teams, and his defense is definitely no slouch. Wolf's and Bussert's defenses are arguably the best, though their offenses (and Wolf's special teams besides Baugh as punter) look a little less elite. Brandt's, Horrigan's, and Gosselin's all around are pretty darned solid. Not as taken with McGinn's or Polian's teams. King's is okay but has some funny choices on it. Accorsi's looks okay, but picking last probably didn't help him any -- probably did as well as he could given his position.

Getting a good balance is tough in this exercise.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Fouts' reasoning being that he personally experienced, twice a year, Ray pinning Chargers' O into bad starting field position on a regular basis. Still don't warrant he picking him 1ST though.

I would have picked a punter in the 1st Rd...and a QB and a cornerback! Also would have picked Bednarik and also Nomellini. You could pick two-way or three-way players, placing them at each position, but if you pick someone like Aneas Williams; you have to pick whether he gets placed at CB or S.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I participated in this same type of thing on a forum 11 years ago. It was fun until we had "games". Forum members, including the people who selected the teams, would vote for the winners. It turned into a name-calling, juvenile war.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

They also should have had them draft assistant-coaches, filling in an entire staff, or at least DCs, OCs, STCs. How about picking an entire 11-man gunner squad (Tasker, of course, being 1st-pick)?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I would have picked a punter in the 1st Rd...and a QB and a cornerback!
I'm shocked Baugh lasted until the 9th round.