Jinxed blue jersey "era" in Dallas

74_75_78_79_

Jinxed blue jersey "era" in Dallas

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

And what is, or what should be, considered the beginning and end of such a perceived era of that so-called jinx? Cowboys started wearing white at home in, I believe, '64 but it'd probably make sense to begin such an "era" once they started being a contender in the latter '60s. Losing at Cleveland in the playoffs, I guess, is seen as the beginning of it or are there regular season games just prior when they lost in blue?

I would imagine by the Jimmy Era such a jinx was no longer truly recognized. After all, look to their only win in '89 as well as winning again at RFK two years later. I'm also remembering Dallas, Emmitt in particular, beating Philly in a convincer at the Vet (I think it was '94).

What are some examples of Dallas winning in blue during the Landry Era? The '78 NFCC comes to mind. The current '70s Rams thread actually inspired this very one. Also coming to mind are rare Dallas playing in blue vs Steelers in the '60s. And didn't they play in blue in their '83 MNF opener win at RFK?

What are the only teams to never play at home vs Dallas in white? Packers, Bears, and Raiders ought to be three of them as well as the obvious first three to come to mind. However, Raiders did play in white vs them at Dallas on Thanksgiving a few years back! Perhaps GB or Chi may have played in white vs them on the road prior to '64 which then adds another question...who never played against Dallas in white at all (home or away)?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Jinxed blue jersey "era" in Dallas

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Not an example of them winning but I remember the leadup to the 1980 NFCCG there was a huge deal made of the fact that the Eagles were choosing to wear white instead of their usual home green... because of the Cowboys "blue jinx".
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:who never played against Dallas in white at all (home or away)?
Seattle?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:...who never played against Dallas in white at all (home or away)?
Duluth Eskimos?
slats7

Post by slats7 »

I don't recall Dallas ever wearing blue @ Seattle, Minnesota, KC, Oakland, Cincy, Indy, Jax, Green Bay, Detroit, NYJ or Chicago. They did wear blue in a pre-season game at San Francisco in 1987.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What's the name of that site that was mentioned on these forums a while back that has every game and uniform each team wore? Jets were quite prone to playing in white in the '80s, their home game vs Dallas in '87 comes to question. I know Coz's Jets wore dark in their '93 affair. Interesting Dal/NYJ factoid: Jets played at Dallas in '71 but wouldn't play there again until '99 - six meetings later.

Back to Dallas at Clev in the playoffs late-'60s, Browns also wore white vs them in their early '79 MNF win against them.

Something tells me Lions played in white vs Dallas once. I know Lions had moments of playing in white at home.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

What's the name of that site that was mentioned on these forums a while back that has every game and uniform each team wore?
http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Cowboys wore white for their 1978 visit to Shea Image
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

And blue for their 1987 scab player win (sorry for the large images) Image
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

The Cowboys beat the Steelers in 67 and 69 at Pitt Stadium while wearing their navy blue jerseys. The Steelers were terrible then so that's a misnomer.

The Seattle Seahawks are the only team in the NFL that have never worn their white jerseys at home.