Tiki Barber: Canton or Nay?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Shrevedude

Tiki Barber: Canton or Nay?

Post by Shrevedude »

Ok, this one may be a long shot, since the voters aren't high on Tiki. However, there was just about nothing Tiki could not do. NFL Top 10's "Not in Hall of Fame" episode says that he was the most productive running back in the Giants, one of the most storied franchises, history. He was a 10,000 yard rusher, though he only played in three Pro Bowls, which certainly hurts him. He also was one of the best players in the NFL from 2004-2006. Some have even called him the best running back in 100 years of Giants football, though I'm not sure if many of you agree. He also holds the Giants record for most yards in a season, most yards in a game, and he holds the top three rushing seasons for any Giants player. He even broke his own record in his last regular season game ever against the Redskins with 234 yards.

Personally, I don't think he has much of a chance of getting in right now, since I haven't even heard his name come up as a semifinalist. However, it's possible that one day, the voters will bring his name up, and maybe one day 30 years from now, he will get in as a senior candidate, unless, of course, the voters begin to get high on him soon.

What do all of you think?
bachslunch

Re: Tiki Barber: Canton or Nay?

Post by bachslunch »

I say no. He was a very good RB with decent receiving skills, but his career is too short. For me, that also goes for other decent peak but too-short-career RBs like Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, Shaun Alexander, Ricky Williams, Clinton Portis, Marshawn Lynch, and Chris Johnson. It also goes for compilers who didn't compile long enough like Fred Taylor, Steven Jackson, Corey Dillon, Rickey Watters, Eddie George, Warrick Dunn, Thomas Jones, Ottis Anderson, and Ahman Green. I just can't see anything that elevates anyone above the pack here.

And looking at Barber's career again, he's really more a compiler than I remembered.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'd agree with the above statements about him being a compiler, so I don't think he'd get my vote. But I know he's one of 4 RBs to be over 10,000 rushing and 5,000 receiving along with Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk and Lenny Moore. So based on that I'd be ok with him being in.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Also, as far as Barber's being perhaps the best RB in Giants history, that's about like being the best WR in Bears history. Some franchises have funny deficits of this kind.

Though one might argue for Frank Gifford being the Giants best at this position.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

He peaked late, and he retired young while he was still healthy and still at it's peak. But I think the thing that hurt Barber's HOF chances the most was that the Giants won the Super Bowl the next season without him. If Tiki had posted another 1,600 yard season and the Giants had won the Super Bowl and he would have walked away like Strahan did, he probably would have gone into Canton. But he retired because he wanted to go into broadcasting and become the next big thing, and he didn't. Oddly, Michael Strahan did become the next big thing in broadcasting and today is all over the place hosting this and that and has become a household name. I think Tiki comes up a little short for the HOF.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

bachslunch wrote:Also, as far as Barber's being perhaps the best RB in Giants history, that's about like being the best WR in Bears history. Some franchises have funny deficits of this kind.

Though one might argue for Frank Gifford being the Giants best at this position.
Yes, Gifford is probably at the top. Deservedly so, too.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Nay.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Nay.

He's fairly fresh in my memory and I never recall watching him thinking, this guy's a hall of famer.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
bachslunch wrote:Also, as far as Barber's being perhaps the best RB in Giants history, that's about like being the best WR in Bears history. Some franchises have funny deficits of this kind.

Yes, Gifford is probably at the top. Deservedly so, too.
Tuffy Leemans, anyone?
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I don't know Ralph. Without having the stats in front of me, it just seems like Giff's career was much longer and he was an all-pro or pro bowler fairly regularly. His Giants teams won a championship and appeared in several title games. Again, I don't have stats right here with me ....
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."