Book promoting

Jay Z

Book promoting

Post by Jay Z »

A fair number of people here have written or contributed to books, and I'm looking for ideas as far as promoting books I've worked on in general. What has worked and what hasn't?

5 of the 1966 Packers books sold because of my own word of mouth, but I live in Wisconsin, so that's an easier task. What else? I know a few people have done some radio/tv. How hard is that to set up? How about book festivals, anything like that?
Rupert Patrick

Re: Book promoting

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I managed to catch up with Peter King when he came thru Greenville in August to catch a minor league baseball game and gave him a complimentary copy of the Packer's book along with a couple back issues of the Coffin Corner, talked about the PFRA and what we were about, hoping to get a mention in his column to drum up book sales, but to no avail.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

For radio, contact producers (sometimes the host) of local radio sports shows. If you are available on short notice, they may call you if they have a guest cancellation. Also, there are usually dead times at certain points throughout the year where they need topics of discussion.

For podcasts, contact the host or producer. They are usually looking for guests.

Book signings can work well. Work with local bookstores and your publisher to set that up.

Otherwise, word of mouth and social media help get the word out to potential coverage from radio/tv/podcasts/print/web.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Ken Crippen wrote:Book signings can work well. Work with local bookstores and your publisher to set that up.
Is the 1966 Packers book sold in any bookstores or can people only purchase it online?
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JWL wrote:
Ken Crippen wrote:Book signings can work well. Work with local bookstores and your publisher to set that up.
Is the 1966 Packers book sold in any bookstores or can people only purchase it online?
It can be purchased online. It might be in bookstores, but that is something between the publisher and the stores. I cannot answer that question.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Ken Crippen wrote:
JWL wrote:
It can be purchased online. It might be in bookstores, but that is something between the publisher and the stores. I cannot answer that question.
I bought that particular book online and have had it since July I guess. There are some people, though, who don't go on the internet and might only know about books they see on shelves.

If a book is not in Barnes & Noble or Books-A-Million or any other big chain, that can't help sales.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Jay Z wrote:A fair number of people here have written or contributed to books, and I'm looking for ideas as far as promoting books I've worked on in general. What has worked and what hasn't?

5 of the 1966 Packers books sold because of my own word of mouth, but I live in Wisconsin, so that's an easier task. What else? I know a few people have done some radio/tv. How hard is that to set up? How about book festivals, anything like that?
You can promote a book on Twitter to your followers and send tweets to people like Peter King (although, as we have read in this thread, maybe he wouldn't be of help) alerting them of a book.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JWL wrote:
Jay Z wrote:A fair number of people here have written or contributed to books, and I'm looking for ideas as far as promoting books I've worked on in general. What has worked and what hasn't?

You can promote a book on Twitter to your followers and send tweets to people like Peter King (although, as we have read in this thread, maybe he wouldn't be of help) alerting them of a book.
Though he will be happy to take any freebies. :roll:
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

BD Sullivan wrote:Though he will be happy to take any freebies. :roll:
Typical of media. Guess it's better than the guy who 'accidentally' took Kyle Shanahan's backpack (w/playbook) last night.
Steviek

Post by Steviek »

Reaser wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:Though he will be happy to take any freebies. :roll:
Typical of media. Guess it's better than the guy who 'accidentally' took Kyle Shanahan's backpack (w/playbook) last night.
Are we sure it wasn't Ernie Adams?