Your Team's Most Important Victory

JoeZagorski

Your Team's Most Important Victory

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Folks! In your own individual opinions, what was your team's most important victory? For teams with a very long history, you can separate the eras (i.e. Packers Lambeau era and Packers Lombardi era). I think that the Dallas Cowboys' most important win ever came in Super Bowl VI, when they finally discarded the label "Can't win the big one" forever. I look forward to reading your opinions. Please be sure to give a reason why you chose the game that you chose.

Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski

P.S. If you'd like to hear me talk about my book The NFL in the 1970s, check out the Beyond the Game interview I did with fellow PFRA member John Vorperian of New YorK at http://www.wpcommunitymedia.org Just look for the link Beyond the Game.
John Grasso

Re: Your Team's Most Important Victory

Post by John Grasso »

An easy one - Jets Super Bowl victory.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Also easy, the Immaculate Reception game.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

49ers - 1981 NFC championship game
Bills - 1990 AFC championship game... although 5 minutes from now I may go back and edit this to 1964 AFL championship game. :)
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

MatthewToy wrote:Also easy, the Immaculate Reception game.
I might be inclined to say the 1974 AFC Championship game, where they came back from a 13-3 deficit in Oakland in the fourth period to score three TD's and put the Raiders away 24-13 for their first AFC Championship and first Super Bowl appearance. They won the Immaculate Reception game on a fluke, but this time they avenged a 17-0 beating during the regular season. The 1974 Steelers seemed to jell in the fourth quarter against the Raiders and after the way they took over the game, there was no doubt they would beat the Vikings in Super Bowl IX.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

John Grasso wrote:An easy one - Jets Super Bowl victory.
Yep. There is no debate for the 1-championship teams like them and the Seahawks and Buccaneers
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Two for Buffalo ...
Defeating the Raiders 51-3 in the AFC Title Game to qualify for their first Super Bowl trip.
Beating the Chargers 20-7 in the 1964 AFL Title Game.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Browns--1950 championship, since it proved the team was good enough to defeat the best the NFL had to offer.
Last edited by BD Sullivan on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

For Denver: Winning in Oakland in 1977. They started that year undefeated, but nobody thought they were for real until that win. Beating the Raiders again in the AFC Title Game was a close second.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

For the Bengals, probably the Freezer Bowl.

Colts, the 1958 championship.