1989 Packers vs. 1989 Redskins

CSKreager

1989 Packers vs. 1989 Redskins

Post by CSKreager »

Both were 10-6, both had 4,000 yard passers back when damn near nobody threw for over 4,000 yards.

Both had prodigious WR's (Sterling Sharpe, the Posse).

Both just missed the playoffs in an insanely stacked NFC (to put this in perspective, a 9-win Browns team became the only team since the merger to get a 1st round bye despite not having a double-digit win season.

Both had bad losses to lesser teams that doomed them (Packers against Tampa Bay/Detroit, Redskins against the Raiders/Cowboys).

Who was the better NFC also-ran?
74_75_78_79_

Re: 1989 Packers vs. 1989 Redskins

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Two 10-6ers that each seemed a tad lesser than that very record. Both losing to some bad teams as already stated and also barely winning against some bad teams as well. The Pack's 'feather-in-cap' that year, of course, was their win at Candlestick; and then they follow it up with a big, dramatic win at home vs Burnsie's playoff-bound-again Vikes. However, they just strike me in hindsight as having been just a little more flukish. A whole lot of...'strange Majik' about 'em. Just ask Ditka.

As for Washington, whereas division-rivals Giants & Eagles both beat SB-bound Denver at Mile High, they weren't able to get it done vs Broncos at home. Eagles & Saints are the only winning teams they beat in '89, but Redskins were real close to sweeping Philly. Week #2, the amazing comeback at RFK, Al Harris upon recovering that Gerald Riggs fumble forward-lateraled the ball to Wes Hopkins who ran it back 77 yards to the red zone, setting up the eventual game-winning TD for the Birds. Having seen that game recently for the first time since, I'm very surprised Gibbs nor anyone else in burgundy & gold contested it. They got swept by the G-men but both losses were close, especially the MNF-opener. Very close to getting the wild card spot over Philly and not all that far from possibly winning the division.

For that, and because it's Gibbs-vs-Infante, I'll take Washington. However, as already mentioned in another thread, the Pack get in over Wash had six teams been allowed in. GB had the better conference record, 10-4 to 8-4.