Remembering Buddy Ryan, RIP

74_75_78_79_

Remembering Buddy Ryan, RIP

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Condolences to Rex, Rob, and the entire Ryan family.

A question I have about his time in Minnesota '76 & '77...was he a DC, DL-coach, or both? Sources vary and NFL Network is saying DL coach. What was his working relationship like between he, Burnsie, and Grant? You don't hear much about his time with the Vikes. I can strongly assume it didn't have quite the drama that he, Gilbride, and Pardee had if any drama at all. Ironically, he and Ditka were on opposite sidelines in his last game as a Vike (NFCC, Minn@Dal). He brought Alan Page with him to Chicago the following season.

During this past regular season I posted that Carolina reminded me of Buddy's Eagles - an amazing D-front (Gang Green), a standout CB in Josh Norman (Eric Allen) in the secondary, and huge playmaker at QB in Cam (Randall). NFL Network also pointed it out this morning stating that Ron Rivera in building his team was inspired by that very Eagles squad.
nicefellow31

Re: Remembering Buddy Ryan, RIP

Post by nicefellow31 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Condolences to Rex, Rob, and the entire Ryan family.

A question I have about his time in Minnesota in '76 & '77...was he a DC, DL-coach, or both? Sources vary and NFL Network is saying DL coach. What was his working relationship like between he, Burnsie, and Grant? You don't hear much about his time with the Vikes. I can strongly assume it didn't have quite the drama that he, Gilbride, and Pardee had if any drama at all. Ironically, he and Ditka were on opposite sidelines in his last game as a Vike (NFCC, Minn@Dal). He brought Alan Page with him to Chicago the following season.

During this past regular season I posted that Carolina reminded me of Buddy's Eagles - an amazing D-front (Gang Green), a standout CB in Josh Norman (Eric Allen) in the secondary, and huge playmaker at QB in Cam (Randall). NFL Network also pointed it out this morning stating that Ron Rivera in building his team was inspired by that very Eagles squad.
Hadn't even thought of that Panthers/Eagles comparison. To go a little further, you have a play making linebacker in Luke Kuechly (Seth Joyner) and another solid/underrated LB in Thomas Davis (Byron Evans).
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Ryan had gotten tossed out from the Jets when Lou Holtz made his ill-fated move into the NFL. He landed with the Vikings, replacing Jack Patera, who had become HC with the expansion Seahawks. At the time of his Vikings hiring, Ryan's coaching duties with the Jets was described as such: 1968-73: DL and Special Teams; 1974-75: LB and Special Teams.

In his first three years with the Jets, they had the top rushing defense in the AFL in '68, the second-best in '69 and the top AFC rushing defense in '70. He wasn't above making Buddy-like comments: after beating the Eagles in 1971, he said, "We stopped a college offense with a college defense."

I assume he was hired with the Bears because of his connection with Neill Armstrong.

Never bothered to concern myself with such info before, but his given name was James.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

As a Cowboys fan, I never liked him (mainly because of his great defenses and big mouth), but I know that he was one of the best, if not the best, Defensive Coordinator. My condolences to Rex, Rob, and all his family and the people who loved him.

Ona side note, It's amazing how Ryan could turn late round draft picks into solid Pro Bowl players (Richard Dent, Seth Joyner and Clyde Simmons come to mind).