Current Head Coaches Playing Careers

Reaser

Current Head Coaches Playing Careers

Post by Reaser »

Always cool to read about people playing football.

The picture of John Fox is classic.

"Ranking the playing careers of all 32 NFL head coaches"

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16378 ... ayers-32-1
Bryan

Re: Current Head Coaches Playing Careers

Post by Bryan »

John "Nature Boy" Fox. I remember reading somewhere that Joe Gibbs played MLB in college...don't know if that's true, but I found that to be odd. Also, from the article, I found it odd that Miami of Ohio made a statue of John Harbaugh. Yeah, he's a nice coach, but I'd rank him #9 on the Miami of Ohio coaching pedigree:

1) Brown
2) Blaik
3) Hayes
4) Gillman
5) Schembechler
6) Ewbank
7) Parseghian
8) Tressel
9) Harbaugh
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Out of all the NFL coaches I would never think Fox was a "Spicoli" type during his playing days. I'm sure his players love seeing that photo.

As for Gibbs here's SDSU pic of him saying he was an End.

And one of John Madden during his playing days
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

According to a 1996 article by Don Smith in The Coffin Corner, Gibbs played tight end, guard, and linebacker at San Diego State.

http://www.profootballresearchers.org/a ... 02-640.pdf
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bryan wrote:I found it odd that Miami of Ohio made a statue of John Harbaugh. Yeah, he's a nice coach, but I'd rank him #9 on the Miami of Ohio coaching pedigree:
Pretty sure it was automatic for winning the Super Bowl. I believe that's one of the criteria at Miami (Ohio) with their 'cradle of coaches'. National Championship or Super Bowl winning head coach and you get a statue.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Reaser wrote:
Bryan wrote:I found it odd that Miami of Ohio made a statue of John Harbaugh. Yeah, he's a nice coach, but I'd rank him #9 on the Miami of Ohio coaching pedigree:
Pretty sure it was automatic for winning the Super Bowl. I believe that's one of the criteria at Miami (Ohio) with their 'cradle of coaches'. National Championship or Super Bowl winning head coach and you get a statue.
I wonder if they'd do a statue of a professor who won the Nobel Prize? :D
JWL

Post by JWL »

rhickok1109 wrote:
Reaser wrote:
I wonder if they'd do a statue of a professor who won the Nobel Prize? :D
Yeah, I'm not sure if Miami of Ohio is one of those schools that cares more about football and money or if it cares more about what school is supposed to be.