I am sure I missed a few, esp. recent ones

JohnTurney

Re: I am sure I missed a few, esp. recent ones

Post by JohnTurney »

JWL wrote:If you have to stick to criteria, then he would not be allowed but Johnny Hector was used in key short yardage situations. He was very good in those spots.
agreed, averaged about 10 carries a game. I was looking for about (roughly) half that
JWL

Post by JWL »

I remember Lee Rouson being used by Bill Parcells in short yardage situations but I don't have an idea about how often that was done. Maybe he only carried the ball in obvious clock-killing situations and/or in garbage time.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JWL wrote:I remember Lee Rouson being used by Bill Parcells in short yardage situations but I don't have an idea about how often that was done. Maybe he only carried the ball in obvious clock-killing situations and/or in garbage time.
Yes, I looked at Rousen, if memory serves it was 1986, early in season then when Ottis arrived he got that role. Rousen would be HM for that year,
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Marion Barber III had a very high "peak" as a short-yardage/goalline back. Though was also the backup so I guess too many carries for the 100 cutoff.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Reaser wrote:Marion Barber III had a very high "peak" as a short-yardage/goalline back. Though was also the backup so I guess too many carries for the 100 cutoff.

he also could break one, unlike some others. 20 of his TDs ate 1 yarders, he had some long gainers... I catorgorize his years as backup as a #2 back or caddy, like Redden for Dickerson or Turner when he was in SD or Kenneth Davis as Thurman's caddy. Or Thomas Sanders who was a caddy for Walter then Neal Anderson and even a Sidney Thornton for Franco and a Steve Broussard for Falcons and Seattle ... that's where I'd put Barber. Though he was excellent in the role of short yardage.

Somewhere I have a list of "caddies", too, but have not updated in several years.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Hector would also be considered a caddy.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I remember the 12 TD Pete Johnson season (84). I think he had recently been traded to the Chargers for James Brooks - really turned out well for the Bengals as they essentially traded a back who was pretty much finished for one who would prove to have around 8 productive seasons for them. Johnson was 30 and Brooks was 25 (The lesson of acquiring 30 year old running backs is still being learned though. Think Falcons and Steven Jackson). The Dolphins picked up Johnson from the Chargers after Andra Franklin went down with a knee injury, so I was assuming they were hoping to get production out of him as a running back, but he never really challenged Woody Bennet who had stepped in as the starting FB. In their short yardage "elephant" package, Nathan would come out and Bennett would move to HB so Johnson could play FB. That Dolphins team was extremely one dimensional although it didn’t catch up with them until the SB. If Marino had thrown in those dozen short ones, he would've had 60.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I remember the 12 TD Pete Johnson season (84). I think he had recently been traded to the Chargers for James Brooks - really turned out well for the Bengals as they essentially traded a back who was pretty much finished for one who would prove to have around 8 productive seasons for them. Johnson was 30 and Brooks was 25 (The lesson of acquiring 30 year old running backs is still being learned though. Think Falcons and Steven Jackson). The Dolphins picked up Johnson from the Chargers after Andra Franklin went down with a knee injury, so I was assuming they were hoping to get production out of him as a running back, but he never really challenged Woody Bennet who had stepped in as the starting FB. In their short yardage "elephant" package, Nathan would come out and Bennett would move to HB so Johnson could play FB. That Dolphins team was extremely one dimensional although it didn’t catch up with them until the SB. If Marino had thrown in those dozen short ones, he would've had 60.
I think of the 12 TDs, 9 were 1 yard, 1 was 2 yards and 2 were 3 yards.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:I remember the 12 TD Pete Johnson season (84). I think he had recently been traded to the Chargers for James Brooks - really turned out well for the Bengals as they essentially traded a back who was pretty much finished for one who would prove to have around 8 productive seasons for them. Johnson was 30 and Brooks was 25 (The lesson of acquiring 30 year old running backs is still being learned though. Think Falcons and Steven Jackson). The Dolphins picked up Johnson from the Chargers after Andra Franklin went down with a knee injury, so I was assuming they were hoping to get production out of him as a running back, but he never really challenged Woody Bennet who had stepped in as the starting FB. In their short yardage "elephant" package, Nathan would come out and Bennett would move to HB so Johnson could play FB. That Dolphins team was extremely one dimensional although it didn’t catch up with them until the SB. If Marino had thrown in those dozen short ones, he would've had 60.
It sounded too good to be true, and I checked it against the record. Four of the rushing TD's were 1 yard, two were 2 yards, three were 3 yards, and he also had TD runs from 11 and 39 yards.

I don't remember Marino as throwing a lot of one-yard TD passes. There were passers who seemingly threw a lot of very short TD passes presumably in order to pad their stats; Kurt Warner comes to mind. In his career, Warner threw 18 TD passes of one yard, and this is with guys like Marshall Faulk, Tiki Barber or Edgerrin James to carry it in. To put it another way, of the 208 career TD passes, and Warner was known as one of the great deep threat QB's of his generation, perhaps the greatest, 40 of his TD passes (nearly 20 percent) were for three yards or less.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:
It sounded too good to be true, and I checked it against the record. Four of the rushing TD's were 1 yard, two were 2 yards, three were 3 yards, and he also had TD runs from 11 and 39 yards.

We are talking about 1984, not 1981. I think you posted his TDs from 1981 with the Bengals. Look at 1984 with the Dolphins.