Two NFL Films-related things

7DnBrnc53

Two NFL Films-related things

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

1. Tonight, on NFL Network at 10:30, they are showing an NFL Films Presents episode from last September called Surprise, Surprise. One of the topics centers around Rod Martin visiting some Eagle fans that haven't gotten over SB XV. Haven't gotten over SB XV? What about SB 39? I would be much more upset about that if I was an Eagle fan. Your WR got hurt (some Eagle fans think that they whoop NE with a healthier Owens), your QB took 90 years to lead a TD drive, and on top of that, the Pats may have cheated you out of that game with whatever devices they were using (under the supervision of Belicheat and one Mr. Adams).

2. It's too bad that we didn't get another Caught in the Draft series this year. Would rather have that than extra eps of Total Access and Path To the Draft (they show TA way too much).
JohnH19

Re: Two NFL Films-related things

Post by JohnH19 »

The NFL Network is almost pure crap...embarassingly bad. A perfect example of their pathetic programming is their annual 100 best players series. I read somewhere...maybe here...that Andrew Luck fell to somewhere in the 90s this year. I guess the fact that he was injured for a goodly portion of 2015 means he isn't as good as he used to be.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

JohnH19 wrote:The NFL Network is almost pure crap...embarassingly bad. A perfect example of their pathetic programming is their annual 100 best players series. I read somewhere...maybe here...that Andrew Luck fell to somewhere in the 90s this year. I guess the fact that he was injured for a goodly portion of 2015 means he isn't as good as he used to be.
They don't show NFL Films content anymore (NFL Yearbooks, etc..) that much like they used to. I am sick of this network. If it died, I wouldn't care.
JWL

Post by JWL »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:The NFL Network is almost pure crap...embarassingly bad. A perfect example of their pathetic programming is their annual 100 best players series. I read somewhere...maybe here...that Andrew Luck fell to somewhere in the 90s this year. I guess the fact that he was injured for a goodly portion of 2015 means he isn't as good as he used to be.
They don't show NFL Films content anymore (NFL Yearbooks, etc..) that much like they used to. I am sick of this network. If it died, I wouldn't care.
Yeah, it is way too much "Total Access". That show is the ESPN equivalent of "Sportscenter". Neither of those shows are interesting to watch. Then on Sundays during the season, we get the pre-pregame shows and the pregame shows. You have to be some sort of weirdo to watch six hours of pregame shows and then the 9-10 hours of actual games each Sunday.

I think showing old NFL Films stuff on weekday nights during the offseason would be great.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I don't think this would ever happen, but on draft day, I would rather see NFL Network or ESPN do this (ESPN should have done this back in 1980 because some people thought that it was like televising a phone book reading): Showing NFL Films stuff while the draft is going on with a ticker on the bottom of the screen showing who was drafted and where.

Then, after the first round was over, they could have a review show with the talking heads (Kiper, McShay, Mayock).
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

JWL wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Yeah, it is way too much "Total Access". That show is the ESPN equivalent of "Sportscenter". Neither of those shows are interesting to watch. Then on Sundays during the season, we get the pre-pregame shows and the pregame shows. You have to be some sort of weirdo to watch six hours of pregame shows and then the 9-10 hours of actual games each Sunday.

I think showing old NFL Films stuff on weekday nights during the offseason would be great.
What's more groin-grabbingly frustrating is that they literally do nothing with the NFL Films library. They tried that NFL Now Plus a couple years ago but they gave up on it before they uploaded everything. I'd like to see the subscription numbers. If WWE Network can get 1.5 million roughly in 2 years surely an NFL version can get a ton more in less time.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

And you would think one night a week they could show an old game that doesn't include either Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Brett Favre.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

The problem isn't the existence of the network. It's that it's run like an ESPN (e.g. today/tonight is Tebow day/night, he apparently still pulls ratings?) and is more 'entertainment', hype and pop culture driven than the network being a mix of current/past games, current [real] football news, and history.

At the very worst there's 100% a 30-min block available per day where there could be a yearbook/team HL or past NFL Films content. Really there's a lot more than 30-min available which is what makes it even more frustrating.

That said, I never get the "shut it down" view? Since even with many flaws having a NFL Network to watch is better than not having one. There's still a lot of positives, "America's Game", "A Football Life", those programs are gold. Plus all the stuff that we didn't get before NFLN existed, the stuff for the more interested football fan. Like video inside the room of the HOF discussions, instantly finding out decisions at the owners meetings (rules changes, etc), combine, 101 awards, and that type of stuff.

Best of all, for me at least since I like watching football, is every preseason game is shown. Now with streaming and such I can watch all the games anyways but that was a big deal - to me - when instead of only being able to watch the HOF game, the 4 Seahawks games and the handful of nationally televised games, I then/now get to watch all 65 preseason games.
Steviek

Post by Steviek »

As someone who grew up with the NFL, I almost feel guilty that I wish it would just fail. I hate what it's become. The players and their behavior (both on and off the field) are a disgrace, the owners are soulless empty suit fat cats looking to monatize any little crum they can (yes I'm looking at you and your contrast collar shirt Bob Kraft), the stands are filled with rude middle aged overweight drunk white guys (ok maybe that hasnt changed) and the rule book has become the size of a Tokyo phone book.

Add the horrible NFL Network to this steamy pile of crapola. It's horrible. R.I.P the Sabols -
You are both missed.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Reaser wrote:The problem isn't the existence of the network. It's that it's run like an ESPN
Doesn't Steve Bornstein (who came from ESPN) still run it?