New bibliography of football books

rhickok1109

New bibliography of football books

Post by rhickok1109 »

More than a year ago, the possibility of compiling a new football bibliography came up in this forum. I suggested that it might be a good PFRA project, but nothing came of that, so I decided to do it myself and it's now available on Amazon (published through CreateSpace): http://www.amazon.com/Bibliography-Book ... 530857619/

You can see a summary of the contents by going to that page. To expound a little further, here's an excerpt from the methodology:
The work of compiling this bibliography began with WorldCat, that remarkable online resource maintained by the Online Computer Library Center, Inc. (OCLC). Using WorldCat’s "Advanced Search" feature, I originally searched for non-juvenile, non-fiction print books written in English and matching the keyword "football."
I was a bit stunned when I saw the results: 39,554 hits. But, as I skimmed through the titles, I saw that there were many false positives: Books about soccer, Rugby, and Australian football, for example. Focusing on American football (which had to be done title by title) would eliminate at least 70 percent of the titles.
It also became obvious that some works of fiction and books for juveniles had somehow dripped through the filters. Furthermore, I figured that by eliminating the ephemeral (e.g., game programs) and peripheral (e.g., cookbooks), I could bring the number of titles down to a fairly manageable 10,000 or so.
Another Internet resource played a vital role: EasyBib, which isn’t free, but it is inexpensive and well worth the money ($4.99 a month, but only $29.99 for a lifetime membership). EasyBib allows the creation of an unlimited number of bibliographies, using MLA, APA, Chicago, Harvard, or a host of other reference styles. The information is stored on line, but a bibliography can be downloaded as a Word document, properly formatted in the chosen style.
WorldCat and EasyBib also work together. After finding a book in WorldCat, you can choose to export it to EasyBib and the entry is automatically added to the bibliography.
After I had done all the weeding out, I checked my results against the professional football bibliography compiled by Myron J. Smith in 1993, which resulted in about 50 more titles being added. I also checked the "Football Books" section of the Pro Football Researchers Association forum and did a search for "football" at Amazon.com, sorting the results by publication date, to see if I had missed any recent books. I found perhaps five or six new titles.
Having assembled the list of titles, I set out to categorize them. This took a lot of thought, followed by a bit of trial and error, but I finally settled on a scheme that seemed to work reasonably well. There are 23 major categories, many of which have sub-categories. Some of the sub-categories also have sub-sub-categories; e.g., "History" is a major category, "Professional Teams" is one of its sub-categories, and "Arizona Cardinals" is the first sub-sub-category.
Of course, some books might fit about equally well into either of two categories, and a few might even fit into more than two, so a certain amount of editorial discretion enters into categorization. For several categories, I’ve written a brief introduction explaining the criteria for inclusion in that category and suggesting other categories that might hold similar works.
Each listing contains the following information, where available: Author’s name, title, place of publication, publisher, year of publication, ISBN-10 and -13 numbers, OCLC number, the number of pages, whether the book contains illustrations, and the physical dimensions. I included the ISBN numbers because they allow easy lookup on the sites of major booksellers, including Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The OCLC number similarly allows the user to find nearby libraries that carry the title, through the WorldCat website.
The book contains 305 pages of bibliography plus a very thorough 65-page index.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them here in the forum or via private message, if you prefer.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Re: New bibliography of football books

Post by Ken Crippen »

Nice job, Ralph!!
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

will be buying that one .. . is there going to be an electronic version?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JohnTurney wrote:will be buying that one .. . is there going to be an electronic version?
I've debated with myself about that question, but I don't think so. One reason is that I think the index is really vital to the book's usability and there doesn't seem to be a way to do a really thorough index in an electronic format. (If I'm wrong about that, please enlighten me.) Also the two column format makes the print book relatively easy to use and accessible and is not transferable to an electronic edition. Without that, I think the book becomes so bulky that it's virtually unusable.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Ralph, this is a book where I say "I wish I would have done that", so I like your initiative!

In an unrelated matter, I play in a trivia contest in Stevens Point, WI. Back when books were useful in the contest, we got a lot of answers out of your Who's Who Of Sports Champions book. That was a very useful and accurate book! Best of luck with the new book!
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

I just received my copy. Great job, Ralph. And reasonably priced.
Thank you.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Jay Z wrote:Ralph, this is a book where I say "I wish I would have done that", so I like your initiative!

In an unrelated matter, I play in a trivia contest in Stevens Point, WI. Back when books were useful in the contest, we got a lot of answers out of your Who's Who Of Sports Champions book. That was a very useful and accurate book! Best of luck with the new book!
Thank you, Jay. Stevens Point certainly strikes a chord with me. My dad went to college there for one semester, but it was the Depression and he couldn't afford more than that, so he became the Shawano stringer for the Green Bay Press-Gazette. And of course, that school was the alma mater of Ted Fritsch, who coached three sports at Green Bay's Central Catholic High School after retiring from the Packers.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

John Grasso wrote:I just received my copy. Great job, Ralph. And reasonably priced.
Thank you.
Thank YOU, John. Yes, I'm really not looking to make money off this and I chose just about the lowest price possible with CreateSpace. I hope you find it useful.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I bought this book and I like it.