What's the best pro game you ever attended?

74_75_78_79_

What's the best pro game you ever attended?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I've only ever been to three in my life. The first one was Steelers at the Vet '91, Week #4 before their bye week, Noll's last season and, yes, losing to Kotite. The second one was Saints@Eagles Opening Day the following year. My friends and I arrived a little late; missed the pre-kickoff tribute to Jerome Brown.

The best one, however, was the third and so-far last that I attended - NE@Pit divisional round, '97. Great game, especially if you love defensive battles. We had good endzone seats, in the endzone opposite where Kordell scored Steelers only (needed) points on that 40 yard run but the same end of the field where Bledsoe was throwing desperation bombs (held my breath) end of game.

I have been at the Linc already, but for a Penn St/Temple game. Looking at Week #3 for this upcoming season, I wouldn't mind celebrating the 25th anniversary of my 1st attended game in-style!
Rupert Patrick

Re: What's the best pro game you ever attended?

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Raiders at Bills, December 1993 - Oakland nipped Buffalo 25-24. Great game, but very cold.

Bears at Lions, Monday Night, December 1995 was a wild one. Not an interesting game, I think the Lions won 24-7, but there were dozens of fights going on in the stands during the second half that the ABC cameras ignored.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Raiders at Bills, December 1993 - Oakland nipped Buffalo 25-24. Great game, but very cold.

Bears at Lions, Monday Night, December 1995 was a wild one. Not an interesting game, I think the Lions won 24-7, but there were dozens of fights going on in the stands during the second half that the ABC cameras ignored.
Raiders 25 Bills 24; would have been a good one to attend. Raiders played well vs Bills that year. Were leading them (in the bitter, record cold) at Rich after 3Q in their playoff matchup later that January. Nice you got to see a MN-er, but I don't remember that particular Bears-Lions one.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Not sure if this is the best game but definitely memorable was opening day 2007 Broncos at Bills. Denver won 15-14 with an Elam FG as time was ticking down to 0:00. (no timeouts) The Bills scoring was a Roscoe Parrish punt return and Marshawn Lynch's first ever NFL TD. A 20-ish yard run around the right side of the line and down the sideline. This was also the game Bills backup TE Kevin Everett sustained a life threatening spinal cord injury on the 2nd half kickoff. I think play was stopped for about a half hour. You could hear a pin drop in the stadium as the EMTs stabilized him and got him in the ambulance on the field. :cry:
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

1968 Eastern Conference playoff game between Cleveland and Dallas.

It was very cold that day and my feet were numb before the game even started. I wondered how I could last through the game, but once the game got going, I forgot all about the cold and the numbness went away.

Dallas got an easy TD early on when Chuck Howley tackled QB Bill Nelson causing a fumble and a Cowboy picked up Nelson's fumble and ran 44 yards for the score. The Cowboys added a field goal sometime later and the Cowboys led 10 to 3 with not much time left in the half.

Just before the half ended, the Cowboys blitzed leaving Leroy Kelly uncovered. The Browns picked up the blitz and Kelly was wide open on about the 10 yard line. Nelson threw the pass to Kelly and the ball seemed to be in the air for an eternity. The whole crowd of about 80,000 stood up to see if Leroy would catch the ball or not, knowing that it would be a sure TD if he made the catch. Kelly caught it and the score was tied 10 to 10 at halftime.

The score right before halftime gave the momentum to Cleveland and everything went their way in the 2nd half. After a couple of 2nd half TD's, Dallas removed QB Don Meredith from the game and put in Craig Morton. It was too little too late for the boys and Cleveland won to advance to the NFL Championship game, 31 to 20.

Unfortunately for the Browns, Cleveland did not fare as well against Baltimore the next week and lost 34 to 0 for the NFL title. and we all know what happened to Baltimore two weeks later in Super Bowl III.

Cleveland seemed to suffer a let down after their emotional win over Dallas. In fact, Cleveland always seemed to suffer a let down after their Dallas games in those days (1966-69).
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

It was a surprise to me a few years ago to learn that many of the PFRA members and forum participants had never been to an NFL game. On the other hand, at $100 or more for nosebleed seats, and to-the-manor-born for season tickets, it's not unusual now. So, the best (and only) NFL game was I ever attended was the Bengals' home opener, Denver at Cincinnati, in 2009.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

The best game I attended was the Bills' comeback game against Indy. September 21, 1997. Second greatest regular-season comeback (based on points) in NFL history.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Chiefs at Bills, 1973. MNF, and OJ goes over 1,000 yards in seventh game of the season. I was 12 and my Dad took me ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Washington at Dallas, December 2010. Dallas won 33-30 on a last second FG after the Redskins with Rex Grossman at QB tied the game in the 4th quarter. Interstingly, when the game finished, they put in the huge screen at Cowboys Stadium the end of the Philadelphia-N.Y. Giants played at the same time, and all the fans saw the DeSean Jackson punt return for a TD in the last play that gave the Eagles an improbable victory.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Only attended two in my life. The Vikings' 39-14 win over the Redskins in 1980 when I was twelve, and the Redskins 30-14 win over the Giants in 1984 when I was sixteen. I've attended over sixty college football games, though.