Top 10 Defensive Players of All Time

JohnTurney

Re: Top 10 Defensive Players of All Time

Post by JohnTurney »

Leo and his 6 time All-Pro and 3-time 2nd team All-Pro makes him best DT of the 1950s . . .
JWL

Post by JWL »

MatthewToy wrote:Only thing laughable about that list are the spelling errors. But other than that ask 100 football fans for that list and you'll get 100 different lists so whatever.
I checked the list at nfl.com. The spelling errors were made by the gentleman who started this thread.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JWL wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:Only thing laughable about that list are the spelling errors. But other than that ask 100 football fans for that list and you'll get 100 different lists so whatever.
I checked the list at nfl.com. The spelling errors were made by the gentleman who started this thread.
For which I do apologize (also for not including the link).
I am a poor excuse for a human being.

The obvious exclusions to me seemed (as mentioned by others) Merlyn Olson, Dick "Might Strain" Laine, Joe Smith...
(OK, for the not comically inclined: Merlin Olsen, Dick "Night Train Lane", Gino Marchetti and Leo Nomellini... Joe Schmidt is another good suggestion)

I just can't believe no player in the first 30 years of the league warrants a mention...
No Cal Hubbard or Bulldog Turner?
JWL

Post by JWL »

JuggernautJ wrote:
JWL wrote:
For which I do apologize (also for not including the link).
I am a poor excuse for a human being.

The obvious exclusions to me seemed (as mentioned by others) Merlyn Olson, Dick "Might Strain" Laine, Joe Smith...
(OK, for the not comically inclined: Merlin Olsen, Dick "Night Train Lane", Gino Marchetti and Leo Nomellini... Joe Schmidt is another good suggestion)

I just can't believe no player in the first 30 years of the league warrants a mention...
No Cal Hubbard or Bulldog Turner?
That is fine. We all make typos here and there. I actually was trying to not see Harrison get ripped any further. He took some abuse a little while back during the "rebroadcast" of Super Bowl 1.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:He has Night Train versus Deion for that 10th spot in the text of his article. My choice would have been Night Train. I think Ronnie Lott is too high, but certainly worthy of being in top 10.

Joe Greene had two careers, the first half where he was winning DPOY awards and then the last half, when he seemed to be nicked by injuries.

It's a pretty good effort, IMO, a couple disagreements but - - -
In general, I thought the list was fine. The concept itself is so basic, but there are a lot of interesting options.

I agree that Lott is too high. I would have Lott in the top 10 but, and I know I am in the vast minority on this, I would have Lott below Rod Woodson. Woodson is the best secondary player in NFL history, IMO.

I probably wouldn't have Deion Sanders in my top 10, but I could see an argument for him. He was the best cover CB in history, FWIW.

I really like Ed Reed, but he wouldn't be in my top 10. I thought Polamalu was better, even though he trails Reed in INTs and honors. And my biggest gripe of the author's list is that Reed is #9 and his teammate Ray Lewis is excluded.

I think the Ray Lewis 'persona' is overrated...he wasn't a physically superior monster who couldn't be blocked...he was a smart, tough player who maintained a high level of play for an extremely long period of time. He would be on my top 10.

It seems like the DL positions are always static on these types of lists. Your DEs are always Reggie White and Deacon Jones, and your DTs are always Bob Lilly and Joe Greene. I think in general Gino Marchetti has been somewhat forgotten, and he might have been the best defensive player of the 1950's era regardless of position. Bruce Smith was also highly productive for a long period of time. But I would have White and Jones on my top 10 list.

DT is more problematic to me. I am a big fan of Joe Greene, but Alan Page's resume is superior to Greene, and arguably also to every DT who has played the game. Joe Greene was the key element to the rise of the 1970's Steelers, but after 1974 he basically shifted from "best player on team" to "veteran leader". Alan Page's overall NFL career is remarkable, even his time in Chicago was notable. As much as it pains me, I would probably leave Joe Greene off my top 10. Alan Page would be on my top 10, near the top.

EDIT: I guess I should post my top 10 list...

10) Gino Marchetti
9) Dick Butkus
8) Ronnie Lott
7) Deacon Jones
6) Rod Woodson
5) Ray Lewis
4) Bob Lilly
3) Alan Page
2) Reggie White
1) Lawrence Taylor
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

JuggernautJ wrote: ...I am a poor excuse for a human being...
Disagreeable once-in-a-while but never a poor excuse.
Plus, unlike some, you are allowed to play with sharp objects.
Land ho! Stay the course...
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
James

Post by James »

Leo Nomellini, Joe Schmidt, Night Train Lane, Emlen Tunnel, Willie Lanier, not on the list? Can't please everybody I suppose....
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Larry Wilson and Jack Lambert belong in this discussion.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
James

Post by James »

I'm thinking that Jack Ham might belong in the discussion as well.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Mel Hein. Don't laugh.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."