1990 Niners VS 1991 Redskins

74_75_78_79_

1990 Niners VS 1991 Redskins

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

The younger 'twin' of the Classic Niner squad we all know so well against Gibby's best ever (and eternally, historically underrated amongst the masses outside DC). In considering who's better between both, don't put into consideration how Washington (Rypien in particular) was the year before or after. Strictly judge them for how they were in '91. It's a tough one to call for me. However, I always felt had SF got into the post-season in '91, they would have given Wash all they could handle if not actually beat them outright. For that, considering the '91 Niner squad was significantly weaker than the year before, I guess I'd have to say Montana and the '90 Niners.
BD Sullivan

Re: 1990 Niners VS 1991 Redskins

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:The younger 'twin' of the Classic Niner squad we all know so well against Gibby's best ever (and eternally, historically underrated amongst the masses outside DC). In considering who's better between both, don't put into consideration how Washington (Rypien in particular) was the year before or after. Strictly judge them for how they were in '91. It's a tough one to call for me. However, I always felt had SF got into the post-season in '91, they would have given Wash all they could handle if not actually beat them outright. For that, considering the '91 Niner squad was significantly weaker than the year before, I guess I'd have to say Montana and the '90 Niners.
Considering the Niners lost in the final seconds to the Giants in the NFC Championship, they were certainly a Super Bowl-worthy team and one that was going for a three-peat. Does Montana get hurt (like he did against the Giants) in this scenario?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

1991 Redskins easily. They blew out every team they faced in the postseason and steamrolled through the regular season despite playing in one of the toughest divisions in league history. The 1990 Niners had no running game whatsoever, and played a relatively easy schedule.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Bryan wrote:1991 Redskins easily. They blew out every team they faced in the postseason and steamrolled through the regular season despite playing in one of the toughest divisions in league history. The 1990 Niners had no running game whatsoever, and played a relatively easy schedule.
Say what you want about the 1991 Lions/Falcons, but Washington's schedule was no cakewalk.

The Phoenix team they blew out in week 3 almost beat them later at Sun Devil. Cleveland, whom they also routed, improved by 4 games in '91. Heck, they needed a late touchdown against dreadful Cincinnati.

Really, the only terrible team they beat handily was the L.A. Rams (and that was close early on)
conace21

Post by conace21 »

1991 Redskins. No contest. I doubt they would gain 50 yards rushing, unless Steve Young got into the game.

1989 49ers vs 1991 Redskins would be a much tougher call. Montana was at the top of his game, and he would need to be, because I don't think the 1989 49ers would run the ball on Washington.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Bryan wrote:1991 Redskins easily. They blew out every team they faced in the postseason and steamrolled through the regular season despite playing in one of the toughest divisions in league history. The 1990 Niners had no running game whatsoever, and played a relatively easy schedule.
That's a good point as far as their running game was concerned. They got rid of Roger Craig a year too late.

And, their schedule was easier because they played the mediocre AFC Central, and they really didn't dominate any of those teams. The Oilers and Bengals almost beat them, they only beat Cleveland by three at home, and the Steelers hung in with them until the Barry Foster kickoff mistake. They also could have lost at New Orleans and at Green Bay, and the Giants could have defeated them on MNF if Simms doesn't overthrow that open WR late in the game.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I'll acquiesce and admit that the Niners most likely would've come up on the short end of that contest (even if it was held at the 'Stick).

Not so much because of any weakness in the Niners game. Although they were not the juggernaut they once were the 1990 49ers were only a season removed from consecutive championships and a Roger Craig fumble away from a very good chance to three-peat.

The determining issue (in my mind) is that the '91 'Skins were a "team of destiny" and perhaps the best NFC team since the '85 Bears (maybe-what do you think).
That Washington team was the "Perfect Storm" of Joe Gibbs football, in which all the pieces came together at the right time to produce a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

In short, the 1989 Niners were a very good, championship quality team.
The 1991 Redskins were a great team (probably).