Mt. "Roushless" of draft-busts quarterbacks

conace21

Re: Mt. "Roushless" of draft-busts quarterbacks

Post by conace21 »

Absolutely right, John. George had strong seasons in 1995, 1997, and 1999, and these other players are not in the same ballpark as George. I was surprised when the Vikings didn't re-sign George in 1999.. I was really surprised when he signed with Washington, where Brad Johnson was coming off a Pro Bowl season. The football gods frowned upon that signing; George had some bad luck in games when he filled in for Johnson in 2000. George was 1-5 in games where he played in the 4th quarter. In three of those losses, George drove the Redskins into FG range late in the game with a chance to win or send it to overtime. Each time, the Redskins missed a FG. The last time that happened, Dan Snyder fired Norv Turner. George never looked like an effective QB again. He had two bad games under Terry Robiske at the end of the 2000 season, and then there was the ill-fitting 2 game marriage of George and Marty Schottenheimer.
Last edited by conace21 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mwald

Post by mwald »

George probably fits a different category of "effective but not a winner." Someone else already made the comparison to Jay Cutler. Strange cats. Odd ducks. Whatever. You watch almost any segment, piece, etc., they've got all the tools and look very effective. But add it all up and the body of work is missing. Cutler's issue might be his aloofness; George's, he couldn't be coached, always knew better. People thought Denny Green was crazy for opting for the untested Culpepper, then shocked everybody by getting a great year out of a kid. Ironically, it was personality quirks that undermined Green, an otherwise effective coach.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I could be wrong but I thought there was a 'Steelers maybe acquiring Jeff George' rumor around, perhaps, '03 (the 'eve' of Big Ben). You wonder how he and Cowher would have been together.

One HC I feel for sure George would have been at his best under...Parcells. Kind of like Testeverde being at his best under him.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I could be wrong but I thought there was a 'Steelers maybe acquiring Jeff George' rumor around, perhaps, '03 (the 'eve' of Big Ben). You wonder how he and Cowher would have been together.

One HC I feel for sure George would have been at his best under...Parcells. Kind of like Testeverde being at his best under him.
Actually it was '01, early in the season just before Kordell's "last hurrah" of sorts, leading the 'Burgh to that 13-3 top-seed AFCC-berth.

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports/colu ... 1006p1.asp

11 years later, he was in the news again as a 'maybe Steeler' at 44-years-old...

http://steelcurtainrising.com/2012/04/s ... orge.html/
slats7

Post by slats7 »

conace21 wrote:Absolutely right, John. George had strong seasons in 1995, 1997, and 1999, and these other players are not in the same ballpark as George.
He never lived down the "leadership is overrated" quote.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

slats7 wrote:
conace21 wrote:Absolutely right, John. George had strong seasons in 1995, 1997, and 1999, and these other players are not in the same ballpark as George.
He never lived down the "leadership is overrated" quote.
Not to mention his sideline screaming match with June Jones.
LJP

Post by LJP »

Mirer. After four fairly useless seasons in Seattle, the Seahawks somehow managed to convince the Bears to give up a number 1 pick (#11 overall) for the worthless PoS.

The Seahawks used the Bears pick to trade up and take Walter Jones (9 x Pro Bowler; NFL All-Decade Team, etc...). Mirer promptly delivered a 37.7 passer rating for the Bears in 7 games (3 starts) and was gone thereafter.

Speaking (typing) of which, the Eagles have recently signed Chase Daniel from the Chiefs. A QB, who in 7 years has thrown for 464 yards and 1 TD, to a 3 year $21M contract !?!
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Leaf is probably the All Time bust. However, his immature antics hide the fact that the Chargers didn't really give him much help. Leaf was the only 1st round draft pick between 1994-2001. The 1999 draft pick was lost due to the Leaf trade, or course, but there times Bobby Beathard traded figure first round picks in exchange for a 2nd round pick. Those picks yielded Terrell Fletcher, Bryan Still, and Mikhael Ricks. San Diego also traded Tony Martin in the summer of 1998. Martin had enough left to reach 1000 yards on 1998 and 1999.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I could be wrong but I thought there was a 'Steelers maybe acquiring Jeff George' rumor around, perhaps, '03 (the 'eve' of Big Ben). You wonder how he and Cowher would have been together.

I don't think that Parcells and George would have got along at all. George would have withered under Parcell's belligerence and sarcasm.