Would Bernie Kosar been better off going to the Vikings?

Bryan

Would Bernie Kosar been better off going to the Vikings?

Post by Bryan »

Bernie Kosar was one of my favorite QBs, and I never understood why he didn't get another starting chance after Belichick dropped him from the Browns in order to start Mike Tomczak and Todd Philcox. Kosar did enjoy great success while in Cleveland, but always fell short to Denver in the playoffs. Would it have been better for Kosar to have gone to the Vikings in the regular 1985 draft as opposed to going to the Browns in the supplement/Rozelle-Accorsi 1985 draft? The Vikings' best years were 1987-1989, and they had a great defense but a pretty poor QB rotation of Tommy Kramer & Wade Wilson. Could Kosar have been the missing element, allowing the Vikings to beat the Redskins and Niners in the postseason (at least in 1987 & 1988) and then go on to win the Super Bowl?

On a side note, I think Tommy Kramer had bad career timing. Came in as those Bud Grant teams were in a steady decline, suffered through some tough years in the early-80's (although Kramer's erratic play did not help)....but then in 1986, at a time when 7 HOF QBs were regular starters, its Tommy Kramer who leads the NFL in passing. Things look good for Kramer, but his career immediately goes into the tank in 1987, Wade Wilson "wrests" control of the starting job from him, and the Vikings achieve success without Kramer.