Most Egregious Historical Untruth in a Football Film

Todd Pence

Most Egregious Historical Untruth in a Football Film

Post by Todd Pence »

The recent thread on football films inspired me to raise the question: What is the worst historical innacuracy or untruth to appear in a football movie purporting to be historical? REMEMBER THE TITANS is full of historical inaccuracies and lies in order to tell a story the way it wants it to be told, not the least of which showing the TC Williams Titans playing night games at home (night football had been banned in the city of Alexandria during the 1971 season). It's the JFK of football movies.

Also of note is the conclusion of WE ARE MARSHALL claiming that Coach Jack Lengyel is in the College Football Hall of Fame. He's actually not.
Reaser

Re: Most Egregious Historical Untruth in a Football Film

Post by Reaser »

Friday Night Lights (the movie) has a bunch of inaccuracies. Including the entire state playoffs (wrong amount of teams, wrong teams shown in the bracket, they lost in the SF's and not State Championship, etc) ...

Not the most egregious because the movie would have still been the same quality and basically the same movie had they stuck with what really happened, instead of "hollywooding" it up.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Nothing purports to be accurate more than a documentary.
Nothing can be more inaccurate than "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29."
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

oldecapecod11 wrote:Nothing purports to be accurate more than a documentary.
Reminds me of when I've seen the statement that "the Boston Red Sox won the 1975 World Series 3 games to 4."
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

2008 The Express
According to this movie, Art Modell bought the Browns in about 1957 (instead of 1961) and Paul Brown never existed.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Paper Lion, I think it was season Alex karras was suspended, but he was in movie
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Paper Lion, I think it was season Alex karras was suspended, but he was in movie
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

oldecapecod11 wrote:Nothing purports to be accurate more than a documentary.

Phil, are you a bitter Yalie?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

In the opening scene of Invincible the Eagles lose 31−0 to the Cincinnati Bengals on December 7, 1975. The main character of the movie Vince Papale is at the game and either he or his buddy makes a comment that the Eagles lost to a team worse than they were. In 1975, the Bengals finished 11–3.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Any Given Sunday had a couple of real peaches. There's a game where both teams are wearing their dark uniforms. There's a part early on where Pacino talks about how they're 6-5, but if they win their last five games, they'll have home field advantage. I'd like to see those standings after eleven games where that's possible.

Those are the two that I remember, though I acknowledge I wasn't entirely sober when I saw it, so I may have misremembered those, and forgotten some better ones....