Patriots radiate class at every level...

oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

You don't hear Belichick crying like teardrops tomlin...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... have-back/

Tom Brady doesn't sing the coin flip blues like whining aaron...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pass-rush/

And here's a few pellets for the stats rats...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... son-stats/

The Patriots win by the rules and lose by the rules and do both with remarkably good grace.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
mwald

Re: Patriots radiate class at every level...

Post by mwald »

Belichick was unusually classy after the game, spending more time than normal talking to Kubiak and Manning.

The Patriots have an arrogance about them, sure. But it's not mean spirited or snarky, just the type of arrogance that comes with knowing you're that much better than everyone else. And to your point, when they lose they rarely make excuses.

Bill did almost eviscerate another camera man on his way over to Kubiak, though. His disdain for the media is well documented, and seeing as our mainstream press is becoming more paparazzi-like by the day, it's hard to blame him. Yet, the public fascination with his sport that makes media photographers interested in taking his picture is also what allows him to make a million dollar salary, so there's that.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Privacy isn't an option when you're on stage. I remember an awkward moment when I once attended a 49er game. I was sitting on the aisle in the first row behind the Niner bench just before kickoff when a woman came down the steps & hailed Derek Loville. He came right up to her, standing just a couple feet from me and they started a conversation. I'm in "paying customer mode", here to watch 49ers...and one just trotted up to where I was sitting so I'm watching him intently. At one point he turns and gives me a look which I read to be "can we have some privacy, please". I paid money to see guys dressed in gold & red, but maybe now it's rude to do so? On the street it would be rude. When is it OK? Is now OK?
mwald

Post by mwald »

JohnR wrote:Privacy isn't an option when you're on stage. I remember an awkward moment when I once attended a 49er game. I was sitting on the aisle in the first row behind the Niner bench just before kickoff when a woman came down the steps & hailed Derek Loville. He came right up to her, standing just a couple feet from me and they started a conversation. I'm in "paying customer mode", here to watch 49ers...and one just trotted up to where I was sitting so I'm watching him intently. At one point he turns and gives me a look which I read to be "can we have some privacy, please". I paid money to see guys dressed in gold & red, but maybe now it's rude to do so? On the street it would be rude. When is it OK? Is now OK?
That's a funny story. So true.

Complicating matters is how the line between athlete, celebrity, and spectator is getting blurrier every day due to social media. On one hand I understand the "we paid money" argument, particularly these days when tickets aren't $12 anymore. On the other, guys like Jack Nicholson heckle the heck out of athletes on the court under the rationale that he "paid good money for these seats."
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

mwald wrote:Bill did almost eviscerate another camera man on his way over to [opposing coach], though.
He's done that multiple times, after wins and losses. Always funny, to me. I imagine I would be the same way.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

oldecapecod11 wrote:Patriots radiate class at every level...

You don't hear Belichick crying like teardrops tomlin...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... have-back/

And here's a few pellets for the stats rats...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... son-stats/

The Patriots win by the rules and lose by the rules and do both with remarkably good grace.
Absolutely right about Aaron's comments. The sentiment was wrong and it was embarrassingly whiny to say it publicly. However, as a Packers fan I can understand Rodgers' frustration. Two years in a row the defense gives up a fourth quarter lead in the playoffs, gets bailed out by the offense forcing overtime and then gives a quick score in OT.

Wasn't there some incident of Peyton throwing his teammates under the bus after a tough loss several years ago?
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by John Maxymuk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:29 pm

oldecapecod11 wrote:

"Absolutely right about Aaron's comments. The sentiment was wrong and it was embarrassingly whiny to say it publicly. However, as a Packers fan I can understand Rodgers' frustration. Two years in a row the defense gives up a fourth quarter lead in the playoffs, gets bailed out by the offense forcing overtime and then gives a quick score in OT..."

Maybe it is just one preception but it seemed Rodgers entire attitude changed when all the attention was given
to the Favre ceremony and the importance both Bart Starr and his wife placed on the effort Starr would make to be there.
It's as though Rodgers resented all the attention being moved from him.

Sure, everyone has an ego and super athletes often have a bigger ego than most of us.
So many years in the limelight gives them an exaggerated feeling of self-importance.

Aaron Rodgers had a great season and has an outstanding career. It is a shame he cannot handle it with a little more class.

And, while we are mentioning class...
It is a good thing the Panthers represent both the Carolinas. There is not enough mustard in one state for Cam Newton.
What a talent! What a jerk!
Give me Riggo and Sandra any day of the week...
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Great player cam, but I hate all the preening. Remember all the sullen press conferences when the team was losing a few years back?

Noted this a couple weeks ago, why when Stewart RUNS for a TD does Cam take the ball into the crowd. Cannot imagine what a Lambert or Butkus would do to this guy.
mwald

Post by mwald »

NWebster wrote:Great player cam, but I hate all the preening. Remember all the sullen press conferences when the team was losing a few years back?

Noted this a couple weeks ago, why when Stewart RUNS for a TD does Cam take the ball into the crowd. Cannot imagine what a Lambert or Butkus would do to this guy.
Not much. He's the same size they were.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

I hope it was an aberration for Rodgers, OCC.

As for Cam, I tend to think of him as joyful like Favre was. When the team hits a rough patch at some point in the future, we'll see whether he reverts to sullenness or whether he's grown up a bit. I also think that Mike Shula has done a real nice job in tailoring their offense to what Newton dies best. He still has big flaws and his receiving corps is suspect aside from Olsen, but they've had a helluva year.