Let's hear it for Wade Phillips

mwald

Let's hear it for Wade Phillips

Post by mwald »

The Son of Bum, as he's known by his Twitter handle, beat the New England Patriots today.

What an effort he got from his unit. Everywhere he goes his defenses kick ass, but they have faded late. I worried Belichick would get the best of him in the second half. Nope. What a great effort by the man who was relegated to shopping his considerable wares on Twitter last year.
7DnBrnc53

Re: Let's hear it for Wade Phillips

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

mwald wrote:The Son of Bum, as he's known by his Twitter handle, beat the New England Patriots today.

What an effort he got from his unit. Everywhere he goes his defenses kick ass, but they have faded late. I worried Belichick would get the best of him in the second half. Nope. What a great effort by the man who was relegated to shopping his considerable wares on Twitter last year.
After the game, I think that Bill walked up to him and told him that he called a great game.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Brady had been 5-2 against Wade Phillips defenses before yesterday.

*Edited to correct typo ... I originally said 6-2.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

mwald wrote:The Son of Bum, as he's known by his Twitter handle, beat the New England Patriots today.

Shannon Sharpe was on NFL Radio show this morning saying the same thing. He pointed out that the Phillips lead defense shut down the Buffalo K Gun offense in the 91 AFC Championship game in a losing effort. His son is a coach for my Redskins and Wade attended a lot of Skins games last year. He even walked around and stopped by various tailgates. A lot of fans, me included, wanted him to be hired as the Redskin DC, but I personally felt that Gruden was threatened by a coach with HC experience and a "name".
mwald

Post by mwald »

Phillips was literally stumping for a job on Twitter last year, sending out Tweets that included statistics of his past defenses just to get a look. You wonder if it wasn't for the Denver/Elway connection whether he would have landed anywhere.

Just great to see a guy who the league was trying to put out to pasture come back with an effort like he did yesterday. No forced retirement for this old cowboy!
mwald

Post by mwald »

Here's the Tweet Phillips sent out on 1/14/2014:

"Disappointed not even an interview after 7 straight full seasons of top 10 D with 3 different teams. Last 5 times as D C= playoffs1st yr"

That win yesterday must've tasted like Jameson Whiskey.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by mwald » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:56 am
"That win yesterday must've tasted like Jameson Whiskey."

A win in the next game would entitle him to a taste of Tullamore Dew.
(You don't know until you've had a sip. No wonder God made the Irish #1.)

Meanwhile, a little-mentioned (if at all) fact is the credit for Elway and his "suggestion" that Kubiak use Manning.
Some engineers just have better control of the throttle.
But, indeed, the Denver D made the Patriots seem like a sputtering Edsel. (That's an old forum phrase, newbies.)
So, Hip! Hip! Hoo-ray! for the Son of Bud and his contribution in Coors' country.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister