A professor analyzes Belichick

rhickok1109

A professor analyzes Belichick

Post by rhickok1109 »

A Harvard Business School prof looks at Belichick's management style ... make of it what you will ...

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... g-his-job/
mwald

Re: A professor analyzes Belichick

Post by mwald »

Enjoyed this article. It touches on something I've always felt to be true about Belichick that Patriots' detractors who call them cheaters because they can't explain any other reason for their success don't understand: ACCOUNTABILITY is his real genius (the article talks about the "do your job" mantra having real relevance inside the Patriots organization).

Belichick, much like Jimmy Johnson, has recognized that the modern millionaire athlete will cut corners without absolute, uncompromising accountability. Put another way, if you don't do your job, you're gone. If you fumble the ball in the Patriots organization, you're gone. If you drop passes in the Patriots organization, you're gone. If you throw interceptions in the Patriots organization, you're gone. If you talk about yourself or worry about your stats in the Patriots organization, you're gone. If you slip up off the field in the Patriots organization, you're gone. If you lobby for a bigger contract in the Patriots organization, you're gone. If you talk trash to the opponent in the Patriots organization, you're gone. If you say anything to the press other than generic cliches in the Patriots organizations, you're gone. Players have no other option but to show up to work, and execute.

It sounds so simple, but hardly any teams hold their players this accountable. Can't find the article but former Patriot and current Bronco Aqib Talib recently said he likes the unit he plays on because they all hold each other accountable and "that's rare in the pros."

Belichick is also a criminally underrated game day coach. I'd put accountability and game day coaching above the strategic and tactical chops that he's most known for.

Anyway, interesting article. Thanks for posting.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

I always thought that no coach would ever equal or exceed Tom Landry's 29-year tenure with the Dallas Cowboys. Now I'm not so sure. Belichick just might break Landry's record.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Belichick is also a criminally underrated game day coach. I'd put accountability and game day coaching above the strategic and tactical chops that he's most known for.
I agree. People who say things about how Brady carries him and that he didn't win anything before he got Brady don't know what they are talking about. Brady's career would be a lot worse (and probably over) without going to the Pats and playing for Belichick.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

mwald wrote: Belichick is also a criminally underrated game day coach. I'd put accountability and game day coaching above the strategic and tactical chops that he's most known for.
That's a really good point. I talked to the late Dick Rehbein (a Green Bay native) before New England opened training camp in 2001 and he told me something very interesting. He said that Belichick didn't make halftime adjustments based on what the opponent had done in the first half; he made adjustments to the adjustments he knew the opposing coach would make in the second half. Rehbein had previously been on coaching staffs in Green Bay, Minnesota, and New York (the Giants) and he had never seen a coach do that before.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Joe Zagorski » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:17 am

"I always thought that no coach would ever equal or exceed Tom Landry's 29-year tenure with the Dallas Cowboys. Now I'm not so sure. Belichick just might break Landry's record."

If he does that, he will likely break Shula's record as well.
THAT would be a significant statistic and one he might find appealing.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

mwald wrote:Belichick is also a criminally underrated game day coach. I'd put accountability and game day coaching above the strategic and tactical chops that he's most known for.
Agreed. Though I never had the feeling he was underrated as a game day coach (not saying he isn't, just never felt that way myself) ...

Also agree about Jimmy Johnson, who I think is underrated by people.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Joe Zagorski wrote:I always thought that no coach would ever equal or exceed Tom Landry's 29-year tenure with the Dallas Cowboys. Now I'm not so sure. Belichick just might break Landry's record.
I doubt it. Belichick is 62 years old. To break Landry's record, BB would have to coach until he was 76. Marv Levy and George Halas are the oldest men to ever coach a game. Both were 72.
It is possible that Belichick could break Shula's record. He has won 12 games for 3 or 4 years in a row. If he coaches 10 more years, until he is 72, and averages 10 wins a year (a slight decline is expected after Brady retires), he will break the record.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I agree. People who say things about how Brady carries him and that he didn't win anything before he got Brady don't know what they are talking about. Brady's career would be a lot worse (and probably over) without going to the Pats and playing for Belichick.
I agree. I think it's more Belichick carries Brady. Belichick won in Cleveland in 1994. He had losing seasons the other years with the Browns. Consider the talent he had... next to nothing. BB really found a gem in Brady. He's done nothing but bring out the best of his abilities. Brady would not be as good as he is without Belichick.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I agree. I think it's more Belichick carries Brady. Belichick won in Cleveland in 1994. He had losing seasons the other years with the Browns. Consider the talent he had... next to nothing. BB really found a gem in Brady. He's done nothing but bring out the best of his abilities. Brady would not be as good as he is without Belichick.
Belichick's Cleveland teams had a habit of fading in the second half of the season--even when you remove the unprecedented circumstances of the '95 season.