Okay, what are your theories for difference?

mwald

Re: Okay, what are your theories for difference?

Post by mwald »

What difference? Brady's been the same killer from day one as he is today. His game hasn't changed a bit.

Oh! You're talking about the statistical output.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

mwald wrote:What difference? Brady's been the same killer from day one as he is today. His game hasn't changed a bit.

Oh! You're talking about the statistical output.
I get your sarcasm, much appreciated. But, it's clear that was the focus of the question in the posts.

It also has to do with someone who was never and All-Pro and never and MVP and 3-0 in SBs and someone who never had a passer rating as high as 93 to someone who has been First-team All-Pro, 2-time MVP, 3-time offensive player of the year and 1-2 in Super Bowls and has 2 passing titles and passes for 282 yards a game (as opposed to 226).

And if you cannot see his completion percentage went up, YPA up, TD percentage UP, INTs down, and on and on then fine, no one is forcing you to comment. However, I cannot quantify "killer", other than with his former TE who is in prison, but maybe I lack your acumen.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Not at all. As straightforward as it gets.

And thanks for understanding. (That was sarcasm)
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Well, John, Sir, you've done the studies.
What do you think is the reason for the "two different careers?"

You mention Coaching, Receivers and Gisele.
So...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

mwald wrote: As straightforward as it gets.
Of course. But then again, maybe others will disagree,
"Brady is sharper, smarter and somehow better now than he’s ever been. It defies logic. It’s one of the great sports mysteries of our time. How can an old player still be ascending?

“When (Michael) Jordan was up there in age, he was still one of the best in the league,” Jets linebackers coach Mike Caldwell said. “Jordan developed a post-up game. So you can always add something. This year, (Brady’s) getting the ball out quicker. He’s scrambling just enough. He’s stepping up in the pocket. He’s 38, but his game’s evolving just like Jordan. When you can’t jump and dunk anymore, you find another way. And that way is going to be just as successful if you put the time in.” http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.2406593

Maybe even Tom Brady thinks he's better now than even in 2007

Tom Brady: I think I’m better now than I was five years ago

“I think so,” Brady said. “I don’t know. I try to be critical of myself. I think I’m making all the throws I need to make. There can always be things I can do better. I’ve worked hard always on my throwing mechanics. I worked hard this offseason on them. Playing quarterback is throwing the ball accurately, being able to make the throws, being durable and making good decisions. I try to take care of the good decision part, I try to take care of the accurate part, I try to take care of the durability part. Then it comes down to leadership and relating to your teammates and all those things that are different challenges that you face as you get older.” http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... years-ago/

“The 10% physically (Brady) was better back then, he’s 35% better mentally,” former NFL quarterback Jeff Christensen said. “So he’s a better all-around player today. He’s just brilliant.”
So, maybe it's just possible that he's a better killer than he was? Maybe you are oversimplifying? It would help if you defined "killer", no?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ wrote:Well, John, Sir, you've done the studies.
What do you think is the reason for the "two different careers?"

You mention Coaching, Receivers and Gisele.
So...

I think one is that the defenses were better early in decade with Seymour and some of those guys, so offense had to get better. I think Moss really opened things up in 2007 and then with that, Welker underneath. I think Brady worked his butt off and got better, maybe driven to be an MVP and OPOY. I would love to ask Josh McD if there was a scheme changed in 2007 ... the numbers from 2001-06 are consistent. And so are 2007-2015, with maybe one exception . .. so it's a systemic change in the numbers, the standard deviations are small, so it's not a one-year thing .... but interesting.

But, I vote Gisele, she'd be worth upping your game.
mwald

Post by mwald »

John, if I wanted to know what Peter, Paul, and John thinks I'd look it up, like you did. I am interested in what John Turney thinks. I read it, and disagree. True, no one's forcing me to give you my thoughts, but unless I'm missing something you asked for those thoughts.

And, heh, I still see no difference.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

mwald wrote:John, if I wanted to know what Peter, Paul, and John thinks I'd look it up, like you did. I am interested in what John Turney thinks. I read it, and disagree. True, no one's forcing me to give you my thoughts, but unless I'm missing something you asked for those thoughts.

And, heh, I still see no difference.
Okay, then.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

on similar comparison is Joe Montana, a 2-time champ, good stats, etc... was certainly all-pro candidate but really wasn't before 1987.

when Young arrived, Montana got even better, was MVP, was passing titles, won a couple more .... I always thought that competition or "insult" of bringing in Young in 1987 after the back injury in 1986 ... motivated Montana to another level.