JohnTurney

NFL Network will re-air Super Bowl I, the right way this tim

Post by JohnTurney »

NFL Network will re-air Super Bowl I, the right way this time

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/sta ... 6992460800
single wing

Re: NFL Network will re-air Super Bowl I, the right way this

Post by single wing »

I hope this comes true. That show was horrible with the talking heads.
NFL500

Post by NFL500 »

It wasn't just the talking heads that marred this "rebroadcast" of the first Super Bowl, it was that the only videotape of either the NBC or CBS telecast shown were pregame introductions of the players and a postgame interview of Pete Rozelle by Pat Summerall.

I was amazed to see that footage of the players being introduced with their names being called by Ray Scott of CBS. With all the talk of the networks having wiped most of their coverage, how is it that this part of the telecast, which I was very happy to see, has survived? Also, I can't help wonder, what else is out there? More game footage than previously known? The trophy presentation?

With all the sources NFL Films tapped for this presentation, more than two dozen, what it should have done is garnered all the broadcast footage it could find, including the Paley Center tape, and, as best as possible, use them to piece together the game, using film only when necessary. That would be the truest way to recreate a rebroadcast of Super Bowl I.

Just curious, was Friday's program the first time anyone here can recall seeing videotape of the players being introduced besides when the game first aired?

That find, and the interview with Rozelle lead me to believe that there likely is also some surviving network footage of the Second AFL-NFL Championship Game, aka Super Bowl II. I only hope I live long enough to see it made public. I'm 50 now. Fingers crossed!
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

They could have simply used the Paley Center tape, but were too arrogant to negotiate with the guy who had it in the first place. Just like they're too arrogant to let YouTube footage last for long or even simply show NFL highlight films on their own network during the MANY dead periods during the year.
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

Why couldn't they do that the first time?