Interesting Fact About Lombardi and Superbowl I

MIKEBENNIDICT

Interesting Fact About Lombardi and Superbowl I

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

I was just going though some videos on the NFLN site and they mentioned he didn't like going to L.A. because he felt practicing out there for a week would disturb the focus of his team.
Gary Najman

Re: Interesting Fact About Lombardi and Superbowl I

Post by Gary Najman »

MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:I was just going though some videos on the NFLN site and they mentioned he didn't like going to L.A. because he felt practicing out there for a week would disturb the focus of his team.
Well, it's famous that Max McGee, given the fact that he was back then a backup and was scheduled to retire after the game, broke curfew, left the team hotel and stayed up all night in bars. Then the following day, Boyd Dowler got injured early uin the game, and McGee had to enter and had his best day as a pro, then returned the following season for another Super Bowl title.
Bryan

Re: Interesting Fact About Lombardi and Superbowl I

Post by Bryan »

If I remember correctly, the Chiefs went to LA 2 weeks prior to the game for practice, while the Packers showed up in LA just a few days before the game. I think it was Johnny Robinson saying that he felt the Chiefs arrived too soon, and by the time the Super Bowl came around they were psyched out and not up for the game.