Jeff Fisher milestone for upcoming 2016 season

Bryan

Jeff Fisher milestone for upcoming 2016 season

Post by Bryan »

It has been brought to my attention that Jeff Fisher is on the verge of making history. If Fisher has his usual 6-10/7-9 season next year, he will either break or tie the all-time NFL record for most head coaching losses in league history. Fisher currently has 156 losses, which puts him 9 games behind all-time leader Dan Reeves' (who knew?) 165 losses.
mwald

Re: Jeff Fisher milestone for upcoming 2016 season

Post by mwald »

People have wondered for years how the Fisher Man stays employed - and it's a valid question.

It's probably a combination of right place/right time and right record/right time. Whenever the pink slip creeps in, he pulls off a big season or has had something happen franchise-wise to save him. This has all been discussed before.

What hasn't been explored is...how can someone be personally okay with losing so many games? Heck, Madden got out of the game because they couldn't manufacture enough Maalox to soothe the (rare) losses. Not Fish Sticks. Defeat after defeat and his mustache flows freely in the wind, not a care in the world.

How one can stay that unflappable amidst the the losing is beyond comprehension. There has to be something in your psychological makeup that makes you okay with that.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

mwald wrote: How one can stay that unflappable amidst the the losing is beyond comprehension. There has to be something in your psychological makeup that makes you okay with that.
How about "I'm getting a decent paycheck for doing something that I enjoy."
mwald

Post by mwald »

John Grasso wrote:
mwald wrote: How one can stay that unflappable amidst the the losing is beyond comprehension. There has to be something in your psychological makeup that makes you okay with that.
How about "I'm getting a decent paycheck for doing something that I enjoy."
Definitely relate to the first part, but how do you enjoy loss after loss after....?
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

You tell yourself that you got a 7-9 record out of a 4-12 team. Which he has. But he's gotten as many 7-9 records out of 10-6 teams....
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I saw a reference to him recently as "a coach's coach." Dunno what that means.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

rhickok1109 wrote:I saw a reference to him recently as "a coach's coach." Dunno what that means.
In labor union terms, it means that he makes everyone else in the NFL coaching fraternity look better by comparison.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bryan wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:I saw a reference to him recently as "a coach's coach." Dunno what that means.
In labor union terms, it means that he makes everyone else in the NFL coaching fraternity look better by comparison.
If Carroll Rosenbloom came back from the dead and took over the now-LA Rams, Fisher would be gone by the end of today.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

This will be Jeff's return to LA/Colessium considering that's where it all began for him as a player at USC.

Have a feeling Rams have a good year in '16 due to change in scenery; even if it's just for one year. Like Fisher's own '99 Titans suddenly becoming a playoff team the first year changing their name/unis along with '81 Bengals and '97 Bucs upon changing their unis, '01 Steelers ending Cowher's turn-of-century playoff drought upon moving to Heinz and so on (FWIW the Cards' 7-4 start upon moving to the desert in '88, Rams' 5-1 start upon moving to StL in '95, and Raiders starting 8-2 upon their return to the Bay in '95).