Trevor Roach

dfen

Trevor Roach

Post by dfen »

Last week Trevor Roach a LB for Cin was added to the active roster for the play off game and participated. I know that NFL does not include this game for him . It is possible that he will never play in another game. Does any one have a record of players that this has happened to?
TodMaher

Re: Trevor Roach

Post by TodMaher »

dfen wrote:Last week Trevor Roach a LB for Cin was added to the active roster for the play off game and participated. I know that NFL does not include this game for him . It is possible that he will never play in another game. Does any one have a record of players that this has happened to?
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "NFL does not include this game for him." But there a few players who have only played in the playoffs:

2011 DEN D'Andre Goodwin
2007 TEN Jamie Petrowski
2006 NYG R.J. Cobbs
2005 NYG Marcus Lawrence
2004 IND Jason Stewart
2002 OAK Brandon Christenson
1996 MIN James Manley
1994 SD Cornell Thomas
1989 HOU Anthony Spears
1982 DET Edward Lee
1968 OAK Dave Morrison
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Percy Howard's only NFL catch was a touchdown in the Super Bowl.
dfen

Post by dfen »

Tod, thanks for the list. I keep up with the NFl players for the Georgia High School Football Historians web site and every so often we have to explain to someone that just because X is on the active roster, he is not considered to be a NFL player until he plays in a game.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

dfen wrote:Tod, thanks for the list. I keep up with the NFl players for the Georgia High School Football Historians web site and every so often we have to explain to someone that just because X is on the active roster, he is not considered to be a NFL player until he plays in a game.
Much like the guys, who when they die, have an obit mention noting that they "played for a year," with some NFL team, when in fact they got cut in training camp.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Much like the guys, who when they die, have an obit mention noting that they "played for a year," with some NFL team, when in fact they got cut in training camp.
The APBR site (pro basketball) has a whole section devoted to "Phantom NBA/ABA careers" with over 100 posts.

http://apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=167
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by John Grasso » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:35 pm

BD Sullivan wrote:

"The APBR site (pro basketball) has a whole section devoted to "Phantom NBA/ABA careers" with over 100 posts."

http://apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=167

---

There's a guy by the name of Don Shipley (not our member Don Shipley.)

"... So for those of you who have never heard of Don Shipley, let me have the honor of introducing a great Frogman. Don Shipley retired after 24 years of honorable service as a SEAL Senior Chief in 2003. He currently runs the Extreme SEAL Experience out of Chesapeake, Virginia. In his spare time, he is known as the “hunter” of poser SEALs around the country. Like a heat-seeking missile, Shipley pursues these imposters who have stolen the valor of those who have earned it. Check out this video of one of his latest catches..."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Wouldn't it be nice if the nfl had a few guys like this - maybe like a Butkus, or a Ditka, or a Nitschke - who went around
and talked with some of the fakes.
What a nice way to spend a balmy summer evening or to join the boys whooping it up in the Malamute saloon.
We might see a lot less fakes.

Ah, but the nfl is too busy worrying about their gambling partners and getting the right match-ups to maximize the bucks.

Hmmm... wondering if the Shipley types go after people who use tattered cards to fraudulently access veterans' web sites?
Maybe they'll visit Minnesota?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

In a similar vein ... how about players who managed only one play in the NFL?

In 1926, Wes Bradshaw was on the Buffalo Rangers roster. He had a knee injury so was not playing until one game when he was called in to attempt a field goal. He came onto the field, made the attempt, which was unsuccessful, and returned to the bench, never to play a league game again. He is listed as a halfback because the player he replaced was playing that position, but he was in actuality a kicker, since that is the only position he truly played.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."