UB, JLB, $LB, etc.

JWL

UB, JLB, $LB, etc.

Post by JWL »

In 1984, Mike Guman was listed as the starting UB in the Rams lineup in a few game books I saw. I guess UB stands for utility back or up back.

In 2010, Reggie Torbor was listed as a JLB in a game vs the Jets. JLB stands for jack linebacker.

According to the Cardinals, Deone Bucannon is now known as a $LB.

This season the Packers listed Nate Palmer as a BLB. I do not know what the first B stands for.

What are some oddball positional designations you have come across?
JeffreyMiller

Re: UB, JLB, $LB, etc.

Post by JeffreyMiller »

HB for H-Back ....
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I don't believe it ever spread to the NFL, but Tom Osborne's Nebraska teams had a position known as the monster back ... and I think that originated at the University of Oklahoma.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:This season the Packers listed Nate Palmer as a BLB. I do not know what the first B stands for.
Buck, which is almost as common as Jack, though I don't know if that's what the Packers "BLB" is (since teams can make up their own) but since there's "Buck LBs" I would imagine that's it.

I would say $LB is more oddball than things like "Elephant"/"LEO", "Rush", "Star", "Rover" (lot of HS/college teams give 'Rovers' their own name, sometimes tied to their team mascot), etc ...
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Another fairly common one - but the Vikings used to actually formally list someone as Under-Tackle "UT". Pat Williams was listed that way in the old Williams Wall D.
JWL

Post by JWL »

NWebster wrote:Another fairly common one - but the Vikings used to actually formally list someone as Under-Tackle "UT". Pat Williams was listed that way in the old Williams Wall D.
I think I first noticed that in the game book for when Brett Favre returned to New Jersey.