Thoughts on Eddie DB Jr's candidacy?

Jeremy Crowhurst

Thoughts on Eddie DB Jr's candidacy?

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

He hired Bill Walsh. (Slow clap.). He also nearly fired him three times. He also opened his chequebook.

What else did he do to make him worthy? Even the blurb on the HoF website just talks about how the team he owned won five titles, and had all those 10+ win seasons. No mention of what he did to contribute to that, or to the league, or anything.
BD Sullivan

Re: Thoughts on Eddie DB Jr's candidacy?

Post by BD Sullivan »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:He hired Bill Walsh. (Slow clap.). He also nearly fired him three times. He also opened his chequebook.

What else did he do to make him worthy? Even the blurb on the HoF website just talks about how the team he owned won five titles, and had all those 10+ win seasons. No mention of what he did to contribute to that, or to the league, or anything.
He and Carmen Policy cheated and THEN he ended up getting pushed out because of some questionable dealings. :D
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Best I can tell, he owned a successful franchise, make a shrewd hire in Bill Walsh, treated his employees relatively humanely, and got himself in trouble playing fast and loose with the salary cap and engaging in shady dealings. Haven't been able to find evidence that he did anything notable for the NFL (committee work, rules changes, etc.), and I'm not convinced he did.

I think he's an awful contributor candidate, myself. No way I think he belongs in the HoF.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:He hired Bill Walsh. (Slow clap.). He also nearly fired him three times.
Although it was never made 'official', and no one ever knew for sure what his real reasoning was, didn't Walsh leave after '88 (winning his 3rd Ring) due to Bart putting the screws to him rather hard all through that regular season (especially during that 6-5 start)? Sort of like 'Any Given Sunday' - Pacino's character having had enough of ownership and retiring after winning it all.
bachslunch wrote:treated his employees relatively humanely
That remarkable 19-game road-streak the Niners accomplished from '88 into '90...Bart should get a bit of credit. He had his team travel real well. First-class, top-notch hotel rooms, etc. That had to serve as a motivator.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

His dad owned the Pittsburgh Penguins if that helps. It probably doesn't.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

MatthewToy wrote:His dad owned the Pittsburgh Penguins if that helps. It probably doesn't.
His dad bought him the team, which is what most fathers do. :D Interestingly, Ernie Accorsi was offered the Niners' GM job at the time of Walsh's hiring, but obviously turned it down. My guess is that he got a hint that Walsh would be calling all the shots and Accorsi didn't plan on becoming window dressing.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I think he's an awful contributor candidate, myself. No way I think he belongs in the HoF.
Agreed. And I'm saying that as a diehard SF fan since the early 80s.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Likewise.

That said, I think "Mr. D's" contribution was in hiring the best, providing the best and expecting the best for/of his team.
I've worked for a number of private companies and can't begin to tell you how much the attitude of the organization comes from the top down.

I know not all companies/sports franchises are like that but I believe the 49ers during their era of excellence were.
Perhaps the best way to appreciate DeBartolo's value to his 49ers is to contrast him to unsuccessful ownership groups like those of the Browns, Lions or other ne'er-do-wells.
mwald

Post by mwald »

JuggernautJ wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:
Likewise.

That said, I think "Mr. D's" contribution was in hiring the best, providing the best and expecting the best for/of his team.
I've worked for a number of private companies and can't begin to tell you how much the attitude of the organization comes from the top down.

I know not all companies/sports franchises are like that but I believe the 49ers during their era of excellence were.
Perhaps the best way to appreciate DeBartolo's value to his 49ers is to contrast him to unsuccessful ownership groups like those of the Browns, Lions or other ne'er-do-wells.
Right there with you, Juggs.

Not interested at all in moral or ethical issues. Debartolo created a first class environment for his team to win in, and win they did. Far more influential in that regard than historians, who have their own agenda, care to admit.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I can't argue against the fact that the 49ers were a far better run organization most other NFL teams at the time. But if the best argument for him to get into the Hall is that he was a "nice guy to work for" then I don't think he belongs in.