2016 AP All-Pro Team

TodMaher

Re: 2016 AP All-Pro Team

Post by TodMaher »

Reaser wrote:
TodMaher wrote:Well, the problem is Mack did play two positions this year.
Yes, he played more snaps at DE though. I don't have an issue with him being voted at DE or OLB (he played both, and it's close enough to say roughly 50/50), I was talking about the OLB's they voted at ILB and the DT's they voted as DE, there's a bunch of them - including the Thomas Davis vote at ILB which if that one voter had voted for Davis at OLB instead of ILB then Mack wouldn't be on the 'team' twice.

There's different and easy solutions for where to vote a player. Before getting to those possible solutions you first have to find voters that know the difference between a DE and DT and an ILB and OLB. In other words, find 50 people who watch and follow football.
Yeah, I know.
A big problem is that the traditional defensive position designations are no longer applicable. I mean you no have two teams (Arizona and St. Louis) that are using a five DBs as their base defense - if the depth charts/lineups are correct (no I don't spend every second of my life watching everything game of everything single team, so I if am wrong about this my apologies).
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

TodMaher wrote:A big problem is that the traditional defensive position designations are no longer applicable.
Very true, though I don't view that as an excuse for voters (not that you were giving them one) ...

You even have teams making up their own positions. To use Arizona as an example, they have Deone Buchanon (great player at Washington State) listed as $LB. That's fine, but he most certainly is an ILB - and has been for two years, making it odd that people are trying to make it out to be a recent thing - so for voting purposes vote him as an ILB. One AP voter did. Of course another AP voter voted him at OLB because ...

As I said, there's many 'solutions' to positional voting (one would be identifying the positions before the voting takes place) but my main issue is with the voters and their lack of knowledge (lack of knowledge statement based on what position they voted players at) ... I only looked at the voting totals once when I got them and once when I sent them to another person. Annoyed me both times so don't care to look it up again but I believe there was at least 13 voting 'oddities' (to put it nicely) and it's not like this year was an anomaly. This is a yearly occurrence. Not just players that get voted at two positions (again, that doesn't bother me nearly as much voter wise, it's more a structural problem) but more the players that get voted at positions that defy common sense. Like say an OLB who gets voted at ILB. I'm not sure how that happens, the only answer I can come up with is incompetence.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Barron and Buchanon really were not DB's in any fashion this season, as Reaser states Deone was even listed as $LB - but just look at where he lined up.

But really this isn't a new issue. 1959 the AP starting LB's were Huff, George and Schmidt.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

NWebster wrote:Barron and Buchanon really were not DB's in any fashion this season, as Reaser states Deone was even listed as $LB - but just look at where he lined up.

But really this isn't a new issue. 1959 the AP starting LB's were Huff, George and Schmidt.
So are linebackers now allowed to wear numbers in the 20s??? I mean St. Louis designates Barron (#26) as WS (Weak Safety?) And Bucannon wears #20.
JWL

Post by JWL »

TodMaher wrote:
NWebster wrote:Barron and Buchanon really were not DB's in any fashion this season, as Reaser states Deone was even listed as $LB - but just look at where he lined up.

So are linebackers now allowed to wear numbers in the 20s??? I mean St. Louis designates Barron (#26) as WS (Weak Safety?) And Bucannon wears #20.
Bucannon really is a linebacker now. I liked him in college as a strong safety who would play in the box a lot in the NFL. Now he is pretty much in the box all the time. Because there are salary cap ramifications with this stuff (franchise tag), maybe the league will make Bucannon change his number next year. Then again, the league did not do this with Denard Robinson or Devin Hester so who knows.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TodMaher wrote:

there are a few screenshots here ..

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... oc-in.html
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

The guys at PFF must be loving Mathieu's pick at safety. They've had him rated as one of the top CBs in the league all year, since that's where he's lined up something like 70% of the time.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:The guys at PFF must be loving Mathieu's pick at safety. They've had him rated as one of the top CBs in the league all year, since that's where he's lined up something like 70% of the time.

Thet touted Weston Richburg, Terron Armstead, they called Aaron Donald a DE, oddly each of those guys got one vote (Donald one at DE)

I bet that was Cris Collinsowth's ballot
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

JohnTurney wrote:
Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:The guys at PFF must be loving Mathieu's pick at safety. They've had him rated as one of the top CBs in the league all year, since that's where he's lined up something like 70% of the time.

Thet touted Weston Richburg, Terron Armstead, they called Aaron Donald a DE, oddly each of those guys got one vote (Donald one at DE)

I bet that was Cris Collinsowth's ballot
Didn't he vote for Marshawn Lynch as fullback last year, or something ridiculous like that? To get votes in for three RBs?