hoods

JWL

hoods

Post by JWL »

Packers wide receiver James Jones recently wore a hooded sweatshirt underneath his jersey in a game at Minnesota. It was cold so it made some sense. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie did the same thing last night at Minnesota.

Jones also sported a hood yesterday in a game played in Arizona!

This is a league that used to fine players for wearing the wrong socks. (I am assuming the league still fines players for uniform violations but I am not certain of it.) One example was when Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor were fined for wearing their socks in a different style than their teammates.

I know that in cold weather some players wear jerseys with a pouch in the front- the marsupial look as the kids say. And by "kids", I mean me. As if I would have any clue what the kids are saying these days.

I have three questions about these hoods.

1. Why is the NFL allowing players to now wear hoods? The hood covers the nameplate and hoods are not part of the NFL uniform. I also think there is a safety issue which leads me to the next question.
2. If a player gets tackled by his hood would it be considered a horse collar tackle or would it be treated the same as when a player gets pulled down by his long hair?
3. Why the heck would a player want to wear one? A.) The hood serves no purpose while playing the game. On the sideline, I think taking off your helmet and putting on one of the official NFL wool hats would make more sense and provide more warmth. The teams also supply oversized jackets with hoods to wear on the sidelines.
B.) Jones looks the biggest dork in football with that hood.
LJP

Re: hoods

Post by LJP »

1. It is not really any different than long hair covering the nameplate. Presumably it is permissible, otherwise he would have been fined or asked to remove it during the game.

2. Horse collar tackle is defined as "No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.". Since the hood is not part of the pads or jersey, then no foul.

3. Everyone seems to need a thing, like those players with II III Jr Sr on their nameplates.
LJP

Post by LJP »

Digging through the rulebook, whilst garments under jerseys are permitted, the hood should probably not be permitted since it could be deemed to be headwear, that hangs outside of the helmet.

Rule 5, Section 4, Item 6 - Headwear.

"When players are on the field, during the pregame, game, and postgame periods, they may wear approved caps, skull caps and bands, approved cold weather gear, or other approved headwear for medical purposes only, as determined by the Commissioner. Any permissible headwear must be approved by the League office, and if worn under the helmet, no portion may hang from or otherwise be visible outside the helmet. Players are not permitted to wear bandannas, stockings, or other unapproved headwear anywhere on the field during the pregame, game, or postgame periods, even if such items are worn under their helmets."

The logical concliusion would be for the Packers to be kicked out of the league, again.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I didn't see this last night, but just so I got this right, he wore a hoodie under his jersey, and was not wearing the hood part over his head and under the helmet, and the hood is covering up his name and flapping around when he runs? I have a feeling the NFL is going to crack down on that quickly, surely by next week but definitely after the season, particularly because of the hood which obscures the nameplate. Fans and broadcasters have to be able to see the player's name, and I know if two guys are going it this week, twelve will be doing it next week and by the playoffs everybody will be doing it. Also, there is the matter that they are not league approved so one guy could be wearing a red one, one a green one, one a yellow one, all on the same team, and there is nothing the league can do, and who knows what kinds of symbols or unapproved logos they could be wearing on that hood just to show off. Also there is the danger of some player grabbing him by the hood to tackle him as aforementioned. In cold weather climates I know they wear long john shirts and things underneath, but wearing a hoodie in Arizona? I bet they had the dome closed too, can somebody verify that? I imagine the fashion police will crack down on this by next week as they have fallen asleep at the wheel on this one, or else there is no rule specifically against it, and Goodell will have to issue some sort of edict to nip it in the bud.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
LJP

Post by LJP »

Image of James "Hoodie" Jones from yesterdays game - http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jame ... sdttMl.jpg
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

James wore his hoodie against Dallas and Oakland, also. So it's not like it's new. Mike Pereira had one of his segments on it and how/why it's legal. Wouldn't be a surprise if the league looked at it after the season, though they're more reactive so likely wouldn't/won't do anything until a player is tackled by the hood. Then they'll ban it instantly and act like they couldn't have seen that coming.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I didn't see this last night, but just so I got this right, he wore a hoodie under his jersey, and was not wearing the hood part over his head and under the helmet, and the hood is covering up his name and flapping around when he runs? I have a feeling the NFL is going to crack down on that quickly, surely by next week but definitely after the season, particularly because of the hood which obscures the nameplate. Fans and broadcasters have to be able to see the player's name, and I know if two guys are going it this week, twelve will be doing it next week and by the playoffs everybody will be doing it. Also, there is the matter that they are not league approved so one guy could be wearing a red one, one a green one, one a yellow one, all on the same team, and there is nothing the league can do, and who knows what kinds of symbols or unapproved logos they could be wearing on that hood just to show off. Also there is the danger of some player grabbing him by the hood to tackle him as aforementioned. In cold weather climates I know they wear long john shirts and things underneath, but wearing a hoodie in Arizona? I bet they had the dome closed too, can somebody verify that? I imagine the fashion police will crack down on this by next week as they have fallen asleep at the wheel on this one, or else there is no rule specifically against it, and Goodell will have to issue some sort of edict to nip it in the bud.
I actually can't tell if your post is tongue-in-cheek or not.

The whole thing is not that big of a deal. It is just more minutia for us to discuss although I do imagine this could be major news at the Paul Lukas uniform blog.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Reaser wrote:James wore his hoodie against Dallas and Oakland, also. So it's not like it's new. Mike Pereira had one of his segments on it and how/why it's legal. Wouldn't be a surprise if the league looked at it after the season, though they're more reactive so likely wouldn't/won't do anything until a player is tackled by the hood. Then they'll ban it instantly and act like they couldn't have seen that coming.
I did not see the Pereira segment. Do you recall what he said?

It is annoying to me that the league cracked down on those awesome socks Portis and Taylor wore and they gave Trent Dilfer hell for using a Terry Bradshaw facemask one time but now they let guys wear hoods. It is weird because the hoods actually do present a possible safety issue. Now, sure, it would be the player's own fault if he was violently grabbed by the hood and was injured as a result.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:I did not see the Pereira segment. Do you recall what he said?

It is annoying to me that the league cracked down on those awesome socks Portis and Taylor wore and they gave Trent Dilfer hell for using a Terry Bradshaw facemask one time but now they let guys wear hoods. It is weird because the hoods actually do present a possible safety issue. Now, sure, it would be the player's own fault if he was violently grabbed by the hood and was injured as a result.
Only remember that he said it was legal, not part of the uniform so wouldn't be a horse collar and wouldn't be down when the hood touched (compared it to wearing a towel).

and yes, those socks were great. Random Taylor story from roughly five days ago. He's a mutual favorite between myself and a friend of mine and my friend messaged that he and his kid were about to watch Taylor's "A Football Life" episode (he had seen it, his kid hadn't), after they watched it his kid said to him; "You can take back anything you got me for Christmas, the only thing I want is a Sean Taylor jersey" - his dad/my friend was so excited about that statement that they ordered one together that night.
JWL

Post by JWL »

The NFL has banned the clown act of players wearing hoods during games.
Last edited by JWL on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.