How soon they forget

John Grasso

Re: How soon they forget

Post by John Grasso »

I realize I show my age when I remember things that happened 50+ years ago as if they were in
the recent past and the Haynes incident happened before many of the announcers were born.

But I'm surprised that no one elaborated on the choices that the team winning the coin toss has -
kick, receive or selection of a goal to defend. And that by saying the word "kick" they have made
a choice and forfeit their right to select a goal to defend. I also think the officials should show some
leeway and attempt to clarify the call. Haynes saying "We'll kick to the wind" was a clear statement
of intent and he should not have been held to a literal interpretation of his words. Same with yesterday's selection.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

John Grasso wrote:I realize I show my age when I remember things that happened 50+ years ago as if they were in
the recent past and the Haynes incident happened before many of the announcers were born.

But I'm surprised that no one elaborated on the choices that the team winning the coin toss has -
kick, receive or selection of a goal to defend. And that by saying the word "kick" they have made
a choice and forfeit their right to select a goal to defend. I also think the officials should show some
leeway and attempt to clarify the call. Haynes saying "We'll kick to the wind" was a clear statement
of intent and he should not have been held to a literal interpretation of his words. Same with yesterday's selection.
I would interpret "We'll kick to the wind" as meaning they wanted to kick INTO the wind, which would have brought the same result. I don't see how it can be interpreted to mean "We'll kick with the wind."
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Saban wrote: What they really wanted was the wind in their favor, so Haynes said that "they would kick to the clock." There was a big clock at one end of the field and to kick to the clock would have meant that the Texans (later Chiefs) would have kicked off, but had the wind in their favor.
I had always thought that Haynes said "We'll kick to the clock," not "We'll kick to the wind."
As Saban pointed out, kicking to the clock would have given Dallas the wind at their backs.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

conace21 wrote:
Saban wrote: What they really wanted was the wind in their favor, so Haynes said that "they would kick to the clock." There was a big clock at one end of the field and to kick to the clock would have meant that the Texans (later Chiefs) would have kicked off, but had the wind in their favor.
I had always thought that Haynes said "We'll kick to the clock," not "We'll kick to the wind."
As Saban pointed out, kicking to the clock would have given Dallas the wind at their backs.
Yes, that makes more sense.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

Belichick wanted to defend a certain goal, he wanted his guy to say which side they wanted to defend. Make that choice. Then the Jets would opt to receive. Instead he said they'd kick off into the wind (they couldn't get that choice, of which side to kick to). Which is I think why the Jets guy seemed a little confused. I don't know which end this meant. Did it turn out to be the wrong end the Patriots defended as opposed to which side they wanted? Did they give the Jets the wind?

Seemed stupid to me. Brady just so easy went past the Jets his last drive. I expected the same.....
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

luckyshow wrote:Belichick wanted to defend a certain goal, he wanted his guy to say which side they wanted to defend. Make that choice. Then the Jets would opt to receive. Instead he said they'd kick off into the wind (they couldn't get that choice, of which side to kick to). Which is I think why the Jets guy seemed a little confused. I don't know which end this meant. Did it turn out to be the wrong end the Patriots defended as opposed to which side they wanted? Did they give the Jets the wind?

Seemed stupid to me. Brady just so easy went past the Jets his last drive. I expected the same.....
It wasn't that easy. They had to convert two fourth downs.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Maybe its beside the point, but its kind of stupid to have head coaches being able to call timeouts, throw challenge flags, etc. during the actual game...yet in the pre-game coin toss the head coaches are not involved and its left to team captains to make choices. Seems archaic, like we just have to have the ceremony of the coin toss taking place at midfield. I don't think many people care.
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

John Grasso wrote:I realize I show my age when I remember things that happened 50+ years ago as if they were in
Doesn't matter they need to know the right information before saying anything.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

<Maybe its beside the point, but its kind of stupid to have head coaches being able to call timeouts, throw challenge flags, etc. during the actual game...yet in the pre-game coin toss the head coaches are not involved and its left to team captains to make choices. Seems archaic, like we just have to have the ceremony of the coin toss taking place at midfield. I don't think many people care.>

Unless they bet on the coin toss...

The coaches are involved since they tell the captains what to do. Perhaps this time the captain was thinking how he would celebrate a win, what dance he might do...

Bring back the ceremonial kick-off. I am not sure this ever was a thing in the NFL. At games beginning on opening day or a big game, there would be a holder and a kicker, both notables, or celebrities as they're called now. Like the throwing out of the first ball in baseball playoff games.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by John Grasso » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:34 pm

"Today's Jets-Patriots game went into overtime. Patriots won the toss and
co-captain Matthew Slater elected to kick. The Jets were then given the
choice of goal to defend and Slater was surprised the Patriots didn't get that choice.
Shades of Abner Haynes in the 1962 AFL championship.
The two announcers Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts acted as this had never occurred before
and even in the post-game show none of the five analysts mentioned Haynes."

One must keep in mind the nfl is "encouraging" networks to avoid any AFL references that are not absolutely necessary -
just as A-AFC references are ignored.

It is ironic that the event reoccured between two original AFL teams.

There are not many guys like Ange left out there and, when they are gone, the no fun people will have their way
and football will have begun with the super extravaganza.

Sad! Sad indeed...
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister