Gannon VS Garcia

74_75_78_79_

Gannon VS Garcia

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Between both these 4x Pro Bowlers, what QB did you think was best between Rich Gannon and Jeff Garcia and why?
Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: Gannon VS Garcia

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Hard to say one was better than the other... both are the ultimate examples of scheme + supporting cast = success, and its flipside. Makes me wonder how many promising careers have been thrown away because teams didn't know how to coach, or put players on the field to give their guy a chance to succeed.

Ryan Leaf was likely going to strike out anywhere he went. But Mikhael Ricks, Bryan Still? That was your idea of starting-calibre wide receivers? How is the guy supposed to learn how to play? Or Jamarcus Russell to Ronald Curry and Chaz Schilens? Never had a chance.

If I'm choosing one over the other, I think I give the nod to Gannon, for the number of disappointing years he hung in there and stayed in top form until the stars aligned for him. A lot of guys I think give up after losing time to guys like Sean Salisbury and Elvis Grbac. Garcia had a much easier time of it playing up here, breaking some CFL records early on, playoff appearances and a Grey Cup win + MVP.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I wonder how different Gannon's KC career would have been if Lake Dawson was able to hang on to that TD pass in the end zone in the 95 playoff game against the Colts.

In that one, Bono threw several INT's, and Gannon came in for the final drive. He took them down for the game winning FG, but he almost threw a TD pass that would have put them ahead.

If he completes that pass, and they win, maybe Marty gives him the starting nod against the Steelers at home the next week. If Gannon is able to lead KC to the Super Bowl against Dallas, you got to think that he is the QB in 96, and maybe further than that.
mwald

Post by mwald »

[quote="Jeremy Crowhurst"]Makes me wonder how many promising careers have been thrown away because teams didn't know how to coach, or put players on the field to give their guy a chance to succeed.
[quote]

Great question, Crowhurst. Quite frankly, the ONLY question.